|Directed by||Habib Faisal|
|Produced by||Aditya Chopra|
|Written by||Habib Faisal|
|Starring||Aditya Roy Kapur|
|Edited by||Meghna Sen|
|Distributed by||Yash Raj Films|
|Languages||Deccani Urdu, Hindi|
|Box office||est. ₹35.58 crore|
Daawat-e-Ishq (transl. Feast of love) is a 2014 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy film directed by Habib Faisal, and produced by Aditya Chopra under the banner of Yash Raj Films. It stars Parineeti Chopra and Aditya Roy Kapur. The soundtrack was composed by Sajid-Wajid.
The film was released on 19 September 2014, to mostly positive reviews. The Hindu said Daawat-e-Ishq was a "potent recipe", and Times of India gave it four stars out of five. The film collected ₹12.7 crore (US$1.8 million) at the box office in its first week run.
Gulrez "Gullu" Qadir (Parineeti Chopra) lives in a lower-middle-class Hyderabadi mohalla and works at a mall as a shoe-sales girl with dreams of going to America. She lives along with her father Abdul Qadir (Anupam Kher) who is looking for a suitable match for her but can't afford to pay big dowry, which will only get her some uncouth crude fellow. This doesn't make Gullu lose her optimism and humour. In her quest to find her Mr. Universe, she falls in love with Amjad (Karan Wahi) and they decide to get married. Things do not work out as Amjad's parents ask for Rs. 80 lakhs in dowry. Enraged, Gullu plans to trap a dowry-hungry groom under IPC 498A (dowry act) and to recover lacs of money from him to fulfill her dream of going to America.
She and her father go to Lucknow with fake identities and intercept the manager of a renowned restaurant "Big Boss Haidari Kebab," known as Tariq "Taru" Haider (Aditya Roy Kapur). They choose Tariq as their target and when Tariq's parents ask for dowry from Abdul, she secretly records the entire conversation. During the three days before the wedding, Taru and Gullu get to know each other and Gullu starts falling for Taru. To her surprise, Taru gives her Rs. 40 lakhs in cash from his own savings, which his father asked for dowry. This way, Taru's father can maintain his conventions. And when Gullu's father gives Taru's father the 40 lakhs, it will not have been a real dowry.
Gullu still sticks with her plan of drugging Taru on their wedding night and runs away with all the cash — also recovering 40 lakhs more from Taru's family via a police officer, blackmailing him to file charges under section 498A. Taru decides to take revenge as he finds out her real identity. Meanwhile, Gullu and Abdul start preparing to leave for America. Gullu feels remorseful and guilty about scamming an honest person and decides to return all the money. When they reach the railway station to board a train to Lucknow, Gullu is confronted by Taru. Gullu returns all the money and confesses her love for him. They reunite and plan a real wedding without any dowry. Meanwhile, Amjad realises his mistake after seeing their wedding video and confronts his parents for demanding a dowry. Gullu opens a shoe shop in a mall named "GULLU"
- Aditya Roy Kapur as Tariq "Taru" Haidar
- Parineeti Chopra as Gulrez "Gullu" Qadir / Sania Habibullah
- Anupam Kher as Abdul Qadir / Shahriyar Habibullah
- Sumit Gaddi as Neeraj
- Karan Wahi as Amjad
- Poojan Parikh as Tariq Haiders's Dad
- Ritesh M M Shukla as Haider staff 6th
Daawat-e-Ishq is the second collaboration between Habib Faisal and Parineeti Chopra after Ishaqzaade. Television actor Karan Wahi made his silver-screen debut with this film. Anupam Kher was to star. The film was extensively shot in Hyderabad and Lucknow.
The choreographers are:
- Rekha and Chinni Prakash for the song "Daawat-e-Ishq" and "Rangreli".
- Bosco-Caesar for the song "Shayrana".
- Adil Shaikh for the songs "Mannat" and "Jaadu Tone Waaliyan".
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||18 July 2014|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Daawat-e-Ishq"||Javed Ali, Sunidhi Chauhan||5:20|
|2.||"Mannat"||Keerthi Sagathia, Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal||4:59|
|3.||"Rangreli"||Wajid, Shreya Ghoshal||3:54|
|5.||"Jaadu Tone Waaliyan"||Shabab Sabri||4:12|
|6.||"Mannat" (Reprise)||Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal||2:55|
The movie was supposed to release on 5 September but was postponed to 19 September due to avoid competition with Mary Kom. The movie collected ₹3.25 crore (US$460,000) on its opening day and collected approximately ₹12 crore (US$1.7 million) on its opening weekend. Daawat-e-Ishq ended its theatrical run with worldwide collections of ₹35.58 crore (US$5.0 million).
Awards and nominations
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result||Ref.|
|7th Mirchi Music Awards||Best Song Engineer (Recording & Mixing)||Shakeel Ahmed, Vijay Dayal & Dipesh Sharma - "Mannat"||Nominated|||
- "Daawat-E-Ishq to release on September 19". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Daawat-e-Ishq release date shifted to Sept 19". India Today. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Daawat-e-Ishq (2014)". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Daawat-e-Ishq - Movie - Budget & Gross". Box Office India. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Special Features: Worldwide Collections of Daawat-e-Ishq". Bollywood Hungama. 20 September 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Anuj Kumar. "Daawat-e-ishq: A potent recipe". The Hindu.
- "Daawat-e-Ishq Movie Review". The Times of India.
- "Latest News India, Breaking News Headlines from India — ABP Live".
- "Box Office Collection: Parineeti's 'Daawat-E-Ishq' Fares Better than Sonam's 'Khoobsurat'". International Business Times, India Edition. 21 September 2014.
- "Daawat-e-Ishq release date shifted to 19 Sept". India Today. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Aditya and Parineeti Begin Shooting for Daawat-e-Ishq". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Karan Wahi in YRF's next 'Daawat-E-Ishq'". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Anupam Kher gets nervous while shooting for Daawat-e-Ishq — NDTV". Movies.ndtv.com. 17 October 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Bollywood Movie Daawat-e-Ishq Shooting Locations". www.bollylocations.com. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Official website". Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Making of the Title Song — Daawat-e-Ishq. 2 September 2014 – via YouTube.
- "Daawat-e-Ishq Title Song and Music Album launched in Delhi!". Yash Raj Films. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Box Office Collection: Parineeti's 'Daawat-e-Ishq' Leads in India; Sonam's 'Khoobsurat' Dominates Overseas". International Business Times, India Edition. 22 September 2014.
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Awards 2014". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 15 April 2018.