November 11, 1984 |
Dallas Buck (born November 11, 1984, in Newberg, Oregon) is a former Minor League Baseball player and former All-American baseball pitcher who played for the Oregon State Beavers of Oregon State University in college. He throws a fastball, changeup, curveball, and his strike-out pitch, the slider.
Buck pitched four years for Newberg High School, which won the Oregon state championship his senior year. At Oregon State University, the 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m), 210 pound, athlete majored in sociology. He played football in the Fall as a defensive-back and pitched for the baseball team in the Spring. After two years playing both sports, he decided to specialize in baseball. Buck pitched for the Beavers from 2004 to 2006, including pitching games in the 2006 College World Series. In 2005 he was an All-American along with Oregon State teammate, outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury. He had a key part in the 2006 championship series between Oregon State and the North Carolina Tar Heels. Buck won game three of the series after pitching just two days before in game one, sealing Oregon State's first baseball national championship. He finished his career at Oregon State as the school's leader in hit batters.
Arizona Diamondbacks Minor League
Cincinnati Reds Minor League
On August 11, 2008 Buck was traded from Arizona's minor league Single-A Visalia Oaks (along with Micah Owings and Wilkin Castillo) to the Cincinnati Reds for Adam Dunn and cash. In 2009 Buck battled arm injuries while holding a 2–3 record with a 4.91 ERA in ten starts. He ended the 2009 season playing for the Double-A Carolina Mudcats. Buck played on the Mudcats through 2011
After posting a 1-5 record in eight starts for the Mudcats in 2011, he was released. Buck hasn't played in the minor leagues since 2011.
During his five seasons in the minor leagues, Buck finished with a 16-22 record in 61 starts and a 4.48 ERA. Buck also held a .244 batting average in 41 at bats, despite not having any plate appearances at Oregon State.
- 2005 American Baseball Coaches Association All-American (first team)
- 2005 Baseball America All-American (first team)
- 2005 Louisville Slugger/Collegiate Baseball All-American (first team)
- 2005 USA Today/Sports Weekly All-American (first team)
- 2005 National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association All-American (second team)
- 2005 ABCA All-West Region first team
- 2005 All-Pacific-10 first team
- "In the News: Newberg reaches quarterfinals for first time since 2003 after 8-5 win over Century". May 23, 2012. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Oregon State University Football Player Profile". Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- Czerwinski, Mike (June 27, 2006). "Oregon State wins CWS title". MLB.com. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Oregon State University Baseball Player Profile". Archived from the original on 2014-05-04. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "2006 First Player Draft Tracker". Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- Humburg, JD (May 26, 2011). "MLB Rewind: Dallas Buck released, and updates on several former Portland Beavers". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Career Statistics at Baseball Reference". Retrieved 2014-05-03.