|Birth name||William Daniel McCafferty|
|Born||14 October 1946|
|Genres||Hard rock, heavy metal, blues rock, rock and roll|
|Years active||1963 -present|
William Daniel "Dan" McCafferty (born 14 October 1946, Dunfermline, Scotland) is a Scottish vocalist, best known as the lead singer for the Scottish hard rock band Nazareth from its founding in 1968 to his retirement from touring with the band in 2013. McCafferty continues to perform solo around the world and record on occasion.
Under the influence of artists such as Little Richard, Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry and Otis Redding, McCafferty became one of the founding members of Nazareth in 1968. He has appeared on all of Nazareth's albums and has toured with them for 45 years. He co-wrote some of the big Nazareth hits, including "Broken Down Angel", and "Bad Bad Boy". He has released two solo albums. He is married and has two children.
Retirement from touring with Nazareth
McCafferty elaborated on the specifics of the health issues and the state of his situation in an interview with the UK music magazine, Classic Rock. He stated that he had not suffered a stroke as had been reported in the press. He said that his chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) that has "worsened in recent years" had made him leave the stage in Switzerland in late August 2013 after only three songs, indicating that, "You don’t know when it's going to come on, but suddenly you can't breathe." Commenting about his most recent episode, at the Swiss festival, McCafferty maintained, "if you can't do the job you shouldn't be there — Nazareth's too big for that." McCafferty also revealed that another health problem was responsible for his onstage collapse at a concert in Canada in July 2013 — a burst stomach ulcer. He stated reflecting back on the incident, "I thought I'd be fine, but you lose so much blood when that happens." McCafferty also said he expects Nazareth to continue on without him. "I really hope they get someone else," he declared. "I'm sure they will." Although McCafferty is retiring from performing, Nazareth fans can still hear his voice on their 2014 album Rock 'n' Roll Telephone. The singer also revealed that he could record more new music, either with Nazareth or as a solo artist. He clarified: "To go into a studio and sing isn't like doing a gig. I could always make another record, but getting up to do an hour and three-quarters, and get people to pay money to come and see me — I can't do that." McCafferty expressed his appreciation to his fans near the end of the interview by saying: "Let everyone know I appreciate they've been there for all these years."
- Dan McCafferty (1975)
- Into the Ring (1987)
- "Out of Time" (1975) # 41 UK
- "Watcha Gonna Do About It" (1975)
- "Stay With Me Baby" (1978)
- "The Honky Tonk Downstairs" (1978)
- "Starry Eyes" (1987)
- "Dan McCafferty Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. 1946-10-14. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "Nazareth's Dan McCafferty Says He Could Continue Recording". Ultimateclassicrock.com. 2013-08-31. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "Nazareth – Still Loud 'N' Proud…". Rockureview.Com. 2010-08-26. Retrieved 2013-04-27.[permanent dead link]
- "Nazareth". Rockureview.Com. 2010-08-26. Archived from the original on 2012-06-08. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "Dan Mccafferty of Nazareth @ Steel Mill". Kkdowning.net. Archived from the original on 2012-06-18. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "VVN Music: Nazareth Lead Dan McCafferty Retires From Band After 45 Years". Vintagevinylnews.com. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- "Nazareth latest news | Nazareth". Nazarethdirect.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2013-09-04. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- "Nazareth Singer Dan McCafferty Announces Retirement from Performing Because of Lung Ailment". Classichitsandoldies.com. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- *Nazareth* worldwide video (21 May 2015). "Dan McCafferty-2015-Love Hurts (with Luigi Sferrazza orchestra)". Retrieved 14 December 2017 – via YouTube.
- IHKACATOP (25 May 2015). "Dan McCafferty - Animals 2015 Live Kiev". Retrieved 14 December 2017 – via YouTube.
- Olga Sergeeva (22 May 2015). "Dan McCafferty, Graham Bonnet and John Lawton to Sochi. 22/05/2015". Retrieved 14 December 2017 – via YouTube.
- Макс Владимиров (12 July 2014). "Dan McCafferty на фестивале Белые ночи Питер 11 07 2014". Retrieved 14 December 2017 – via YouTube.
- DJTANCK ELEKTROEVENTOS (31 January 2015). "DAN MC CAFFERTY NAZARETH REAPARECE-2015 BY DJ TANCK". Retrieved 14 December 2017 – via YouTube.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 337. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.