|Died||March 15, 2015|
|Other names||Dan Caldwell|
|Occupation||actor, stage director, drama teacher|
Daniel Edmund Caldwell (1935 – March 15, 2015) was an American actor, stage director and drama teacher. He was the founder of Conservatory Theatre Ensemble in Mill Valley, California, where he taught drama at Tamalpais High School.
Early life and education
Caldwell taught drama for 37 years at Tamalpais High School, from 1962 to until his retirement in 1999. In 1976, with Michelle Swanson, he cofounded the Ensemble Theatre Company of Marin (ETC), which later changed its name to the Conservatory Theatre Ensemble (CTE). Calwell and Swanson won the F. Loren Winship Secondary School Theatre Award from the American Alliance of Theatre and Education in 1988 and 1990.
Notable former students at Tam and CTE include Michael Thomsett (Class of 1966), Kathleen Quinlan (Class of 1972), Courtney Thorne-Smith (1985), and Tupac Shakur (1989), Merritt Butrick (September 3, 1959 – March 17, 1989) in the mid 70's.
Stage and film career
Caldwell's early career as a film actor includes work with Woody Allen, Otto Preminger, Michelangelo Antonioni, Tommy Chong, Richard Lester and John Korty. He was also a director in the early years of Marin Shakespeare Festival and a freelance director of the long running play, The Trial Of James McNeill Whistler. His recent work included The Art of Dining. at Marin Theatre Company, Autumn Canticle, at the Eureka Theatre, and the film Dead City, directed by his former student and CTE grad, Jason Houston.
Caldwell was Vice-President of the Screen Actors Guild, serving as president of the San Francisco branch for 18 years. He served on the Board of Directors for the Marin Arts Council, the Magic Carpet Play Company, and Teen’s Kickoff. He was married to actress Karlene Crockett.
- Visionary Tam High drama teacher Dan Caldwell dies at 79
- "A look back at Tam High’s rich history", Chuck Oldenburg, Mill Valley Herald, retrieved September 7, 2008, from the Ross Valley Reporter
- American Alliance of Theatre and Education, AATE Awards Archived 2008-05-13 at the Wayback Machine., retrieved September 7, 2008
- "Milley Awards: Quinlan's favorite role: Mom", Michael Aron (class of 1986) Paul Liberatore, October 15, 2007, Marin Independent Journal, retrieved September 7, 2008
- Tamalpais Union High School District, Board of Trustees Minutes, October 22, 2002 • Regular Meeting Archived June 30, 2006, at the Wayback Machine., retrieved September 7, 2008
- Conservatory Theatre Ensemble, Guest Artists: Daniel Caldwell Archived 2008-11-20 at the Wayback Machine., retrieved September 7, 2008 (His acting and directing credits can not easily be determined on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB.com), which combines at least some of his credits with those of another actor named Dan Caldwell who died in 1996.)