This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Author(s)||Faith Erin Hicks|
|Current status / schedule||Concluded|
|Launch date||December 2001|
|End date||June 2004|
Demonology 101 (commonly abbreviated as D101) is an online graphic novel written and drawn by Faith Erin Hicks from August 1999 to June 2004.
It tells the story of Raven, a 16-year-old demon being raised by a human in ordinary human society. In addition to the normal trials of teenage life, Raven must also deal with her uncertain origins, her adoptive father's past, and the supernatural world which intrudes on their lives.
Faith Hicks has stated that the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer was one of her major inspirations. The comic is a coming-of-age story, but it deals with a wide range of issues, including issues of acceptance and exclusion, issues of trust and issues of free will. It is available online, in its entirety, at no cost.
The comic ended its five-year run in June 2004.
Demonology 101 is presented as a series of 5 self-contained stories, referred to by the author as "episodes." In addition to the episodes, there are also two short character-based comics and the flashback comic A Distant Faith.
- Episode One (Re-drawn December 2001 – September 2002)
- Episode Two (April 2000 – October 2000)
- Episode Three (January 2001 – August 2001)
- Episode Four (October 2001 – August 2002)
- Episode Five (October 2002 – June 2004)
- A Distant Faith (finished December 2004)
- Short Comics (finished December 2003 and December 2005, respectively)
- Raven, a 16-year-old demon. The only outward signs of her supernatural origins are her pointed ears, so she is able to pass as human in ordinary society. At the beginning of the story she is shy and introverted, having had little experience with humans her own age. She juggles her ordinary high school life and friends, her relationship with her adoptive father, her demonic nature and the supernatural world which can't seem to leave her alone. Despite her many troubles, she is nice, sweet and un-jaded.
- Gabriel ("Gabe"), Raven's 36-year-old adoptive father; Isaac Jenner's older brother. His past is filled with a number of secrets which are revealed during the course of the story. At one point in his life he was a member of a secret society called Network, where he researched demon activity. During his time with Network, he adopted the infant Raven, a society foundling. Two years prior to the beginning of the story, Gabe left Network in order to live a more normal life with Raven. Is in a relationship with Poe and works at a local museum.
- John Simon, a former double agent for the Network. He and Poe used to be in a relationship, and he has never quite gotten over that. He's a bit of a big brother to Raven but harbors a dislike for Gabe.
- Poe, a brainy and sword-wielding acquaintance of Gabriel's from Network. She has a romantic interest in Gabriel, and used to be in a relationship with John.
- Mackenzie ("Mac") and Malcolm ("Mal"), Raven's friends from high school. They are ordinary humans who are dragged into various extraordinary situations through their friendship with Raven. Mac is the more mischievous of the two, while Mal is the "straight man". The two have known each other since kindergarten.
- Isaac Jenner, the immature and spoiled head of a powerful and wealthy family which has made pacts with demons in the past. He blames Gabriel for a family misfortune and plots his revenge.
- Daniel Sachs, a loyal retainer to the Jenner family and the headmaster of the high school Raven, Mal and Mac attend. He's immortal due to having a demon heart. His backstory is explored in the comic A Distant Faith.
- Lethe – a villain, a Monarch demon with many supporters.
- Elspeth – a female demon who seems to have some connection to Raven. At one point lived in the Jenner family; later had a relationship with Isaac.
- Lacey – a teenaged half-demon with murder on her mind.
- Eli – Lacey's kinder twin brother with a crush on Raven.
- Madeline – a feminist Monarch demon. Her job is to watch over Isaac.
- Aaron and Banai – God's witnesses. Banai is devoid of any feelings while Aaron holds the world's weight on his shoulders.
- 2003: Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards:
- Won "Outstanding Writing" Award
- Won "Outstanding Black and White Art" Award
- Nominated for "Outstanding Art" Award
- Nominated for "Outstanding Character Development" Award
- Nominated for "Outstanding Long Form Comic" Award
- Nominated for "Outstanding Dramatic Comic" Award
- 2004: Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards:
- Won "Outstanding Dramatic Comic" Award
- Won "Outstanding Long Form Comic" Award