|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1990s 2000s 2010s – 2020s – 2030s 2040s 2050s|
|Years:||2017 2018 2019 – 2020 – 2021 2022 2023|
|Ab urbe condita||2773|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||己亥年 (Earth Pig)
4716 or 4656
— to —
庚子年 (Metal Rat)
4717 or 4657
|- Vikram Samvat||2076–2077|
|- Shaka Samvat||1941–1942|
|- Kali Yuga||5120–5121|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 32
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 109
|Thai solar calendar||2563|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2020.|
2020 (MMXX) will be a leap year starting on Wednesday (dominical letter ED) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2020th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 20th year of the 3rd millennium, the 20th year of the 21st century, and the 1st year of the 2020s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- July 24 – August 9 – The 2020 Summer Olympics will be held in Tokyo, Japan.
- October 20 – The 2020 World Expo will open in Dubai.
- Planned initial observations by the Square Kilometre Array radio telescope.
- Planned launch of NASA's Mars 2020 mission to study the habitability of Mars and prepare for future human missions.
- Planned launch of the unmanned Euclid spaceprobe.
- The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository was scheduled to begin accepting nuclear waste.
- Planned completion of the north-south line of the Hong Kong MTR from Railway Development Strategy in 2000, yet it is very unlikely that it has been built by then.
- The main segment of track extending from San Francisco to Anaheim of the California High Speed Rail system is expected to be completed.
- Earliest year that power aboard the space probes Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 is expected to terminate (though either probe may function past this date).
- The Large Hadron Collider will be substantially upgraded.
- Estimated completion date for the Compass navigation system.
- The London Underground Northern line extension from Kennington to Battersea via Nine Elms is planned to be opened in 2020.
- London's Crossrail is scheduled to be in full service by 2020.
- Liberia will become the first nation in Africa to completely stop cutting down its trees in return for development aid – Norway will pay the impoverished country $150m to stop deforestation by 2020.
- Harriet Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the front of the United States twenty-dollar bill.
- "Olympics 2020: Tokyo wins race to host Games - BBC Sport". Bbc.co.uk. 2013-09-07. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Expo 2020 Dubai, First World Expo in the Middle East". Bie-paris.org. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- "Overview - 2020 Mission Plans". Mars.nasa.gov. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "NRC inspector general: Chairman withheld information in Yucca shutdown". The Daily Caller. 2011-06-15. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- ""Big Bang" machine to get huge upgrade in 2020". Reuters. November 17, 2011.
- "China GPS rival Beidou starts offering navigation data". BBC News. BBC. 2011-12-27. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Liberia signs 'transformational' deal to stem deforestation". BBC. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- Times, Los Angeles. "Harriet Tubman is the next face of the $20 bill; $5 and $10 bills will also change". latimes.com. Retrieved 2016-06-27.