List of Danish detainees at Guantanamo Bay
The United States Department of Defense acknowledges holding one Danish captive in Guantanamo. A total of 778 captives have been held in extrajudicial detention in the Guantanamo Bay detention camps, in Cuba since the camps opened on January 11, 2002 The camp population peaked in 2004 at approximately 660. Only nineteen new captives, all "high value detainees" have been transferred there since the United States Supreme Court's ruling in Rasul v. Bush. As of January 2008 the camp population stand at approximately 285.
Slimane Hadj Abderrahmane, the sole Danish captive in Guantanamo, was repatriated prior to the institution of the Combatant Status Review Tribunals. He was captured, in December 2001, in Afghanistan, near the Pakistan border. He was transferred to Guantanamo on February 10, 2002. He was repatriated to Denmark on February 24, 2004. He is reported to have told reporters he would like to go to Chechnya, to fight Islam's oppressors, but was talked out of it by Danish security officials.
- OARDEC (May 15, 2006). "List of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from January 2002 through May 15, 2006" (PDF). United States Department of Defense. Retrieved 2007-09-29.
- Mark Mazzetti (8 March 2004). "Getting A Free Pass: Anger over a deal to release a `terrorist'". US News & World Report. Retrieved 2007-01-05.
- "Danish detainee 'to join rebels'". BBC,. September 30, 2004. Retrieved 2007-01-05.
- JTF-GTMO (2007-03-16). "Measurements of Heights and Weights of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba". Department of Defense. Archived from the original on 2008-12-22. Retrieved 2008-12-22.
- "Measurements of Heights and Weights of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (ordered and consolidated version)" (PDF). Center for the Study of Human Rights in the Americas, from DoD data. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-12-21.
- OARDEC (2008-10-09). "Consolidated chronological listing of GTMO detainees released, transferred or deceased" (PDF). Department of Defense. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-12-27. Retrieved 2008-12-28.