Darling River hardyhead
|Darling River hardyhead|
Lucy Elizabeth Lillian Mary Crowley & Walter Ivantsoff, 1990
The Darling River hardyhead (Craterocephalus amniculus) is a species of fish in the Atherinidae family endemic to Australia. The species name amniculus is from the Latin meaning a small creek or stream, in reference to the habitat where these fish are often found.
Craterocephalus amniculus is recorded to be vulnerable to becoming an endangered species because of its restricted range, but the threats and information regarding this recording have not been verified or documented.
The Darling River hardyhead can be found in a freshwater environment within a benthopelagic range. They are native to a subtropical climate. The average length of an unsexed male is about 5.5 cm or 2.2 in. This species can be located in New South Wales, Australia. It populates itself in clear, steady, and slow water. They are recorded to be found in streams, creeks, and rivers at the surface of the water or in the shallow areas. They are occasionally found among plants and vegetation in the water, as well. It is common to find this species isolated or within groups of 10-15 fish.
The Darling River hardyhead is identified by its compressed body, small mouth, and thin lips. The eyes of this species are large and silvery. They have short dorsal fins along with a forked tail. Its small scales rarely show up on the head. The back of the species is gold with a silver body. Also, a dark line runs across its side.
Breeding and spawning occurs in the middle of summer.
- Thompson, Vanessa. "Darling Hardyhead, Craterocephalus amniculus". Fishes of Australia. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Craterocephalus amniculus". International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Craterocephalus amniculus Crowley & Ivantsoff, 1990 Darling river hardyhead". Fish Base. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Darling River hardyhead". Fish Factsheet. Archived from the original on 19 April 2013. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Craterocephalus amniculus". Encyclopedia of Life. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- Wager, R. (1996). "Craterocephalus amniculus". The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 1996: e.T5487A11217815. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.1996.RLTS.T5487A11217815.en. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
|This Atheriniformes article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|