Data citation is the provision of accurate, consistent and standardised referencing for datasets just as bibliographic citations are provided for other published sources like research articles or monographs. Typically the well established Digital Object Identifier (DOI) approach is used with DOIs taking users to a website that contains the metadata on the dataset and the dataset itself.
- CODATA Data Citation Standards and Practices Task Group
- Data Preservation Alliance for the Social Sciences (Data-PASS)
- Australian National Data Service: Data Citation Awareness (Accessed 20 March 2012)
- Ball, A., Duke, M. (2011). ‘Data Citation and Linking’. DCC Briefing Papers. Edinburgh: Digital Curation Centre. Available online: http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/briefing-papers/
- Data Citation Principles Workshop, May 16 - May 17, 2011, IQSS at Harvard University: Links (Accessed 20 March 2012)