|Known for||CEO of Best Western International|
He was born and raised in Hong Kong. He has a bachelor's degree in Business Administration from the University of Hawaii, and he also completed the Executive Development program at the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University.
He worked in the hotel industry as a bus boy and worked his way up to become CEO of Best Western International in 2004. Prior to Best Western, Kong worked in management for other hospitality brands and KPMG Consulting's Hospitality and Realty practice. In 2010, Best Western introduced a descriptor program under his leadership defining hotels as Best Western, Best Western Plus or Best Western Premier. According to Travel Weekly, approximately 40 percent of North American properties meet the Best Western Plus criteria. According to the same article, Kong has also focused on international development primarily in Asia and the Middle East.
Prior to joining Best Western, Kong worked for hospitality brands, including Hyatt, Omni, Hilton International and Regent International. Kong also work for KPMG's Consulting Real Estate and Hospitality practice.
In 2010, Kong served as Chairman of the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AH&LA). He also was appointed and served on the United States Travel and Tourism Advisory Board. In 2012, Kong received the AH&LA Lawson Odde Award. In 2013, he received the Stephen W. Brener Lodging Hospitality Silver Plate Award.
- "David Kong - President & CEO". Best Western.
- "From busboy to CEO: David Kong". CNN.com. June 20, 2008. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "One-On-One With Best Western International CEO David Kong: Hotel Demand Rising". Business Travel News.
- "Best Western's David Kong". Travel Weekly.
- "Best Western Names David Kong New President and CEO". ehotelier. Archived from the original on February 1, 2010.
- "David Kong and Montine McNulty Receive AH&LA Lawson Odde Award". Hotel Online.
- "Best Western International President & CEO David Kong Receives Prestigious Silver Plate Award; Signs Contract to Lead Best Western International Through 2018". Hospitalitynet.