David Saperstein (rabbi)
|United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom|
January 6, 2015
|Preceded by||Suzan Johnson Cook|
August 5, 1947 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Cornell University
Hebrew Union College
David Saperstein is an American rabbi, lawyer, Jewish community leader and United States Ambassador. He served as the director and chief legal counsel at the Union for Reform Judaism's Religious Action Center for more than 30 years. Saperstein succeeded Rabbi Richard G. Hirsch as leader of the Washington D.C.-based political lobbying arm of the North American Reform movement. There, he advocated on a broad range of social justice issues. He directed a staff who provided extensive legislative and programmatic materials to synagogues, federations and Jewish Community Relations Councils nationwide, coordinating social action education programs that train nearly 3,000 Jewish adults, youth, rabbinic and lay leaders each year. He has been described as America’s most influential rabbi.
On July 28, 2014, President Obama nominated Saperstein to be the first non-Christian to hold the post of United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom. In December 2014 Saperstein's appointment to the post won U.S. Senate confirmation.
He currently co-chairs the Coalition to Preserve Religious Liberty, and serves on the boards of the NAACP and People For the American Way. In 1999, Saperstein was elected as the first Chair of the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom.
On August 28, 2008, Saperstein delivered the invocation at the Democratic National Convention's final session, before Senator Barack Obama accepted the party's nomination for president. In February 2009, he was named to President Obama's Council for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships. Saperstein is also as an adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law Center.
- Top 50 Influential Rabbis in America, newsweek.com, 4/11/08
- "Obama Names Rabbi David Saperstein As U.S. Ambassador For Religious Freedom, The Huffington Post, Lauren Markoe & Brian Pellot, 7/28/14
- Official biography from rac.org.
- Religious freedom: Rabbi to the rescue, economist.com.
- US Senate approves rabbi as freedom of faith envoy, Times of Israel, 15 December 2015. Retrieved 15 December 2014
- Rabbi David Saperstein confirmed as U.S. Ambassador for Religious Freedom, AL.com, 17 December 2014, Retrieved 19 December 2014
- Democrats Pitch Big Tent in Bid To Draw in the Faithful, by Brett Lieberman, The Jewish Daily Forward, 8/28/08
- "The Appointees". The Washington Post. 2009-02-06. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- Georgetown Law Faculty Profile page. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- Jeff Sondhelm, President Obama Nominates Brother David Saperstein as Ambassador! TEP.org website 18 December 2014, Retrieved 19 December 2014
- Text of Rabbi Saperstein's invocation at the 2008 Democratic National Convention
- Appearances on C-SPAN
Suzan Johnson Cook
|United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom