The storefront of a DavidsTea location in the Tsawwassen Mills shopping mall
|Traded as||NASDAQ: DTEA|
|Founded||Montreal, Quebec, Canada (2008)|
|Founders||David Segal |
|Headquarters||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
Number of locations
|Canada, United States|
|Products||Loose-leaf tea, tea bags|
DavidsTea (often stylized as DAVIDsTEA) (in French Les Thés DavidsTea) is a Canadian specialty tea and tea accessory retailer based in Montreal, Quebec. It is the largest Canadian-based specialty tea boutique in the country. Following the company's initial public offering, common stock began trading on the NASDAQ Global Market on June 5, 2015.
The company now offers stores in over 240 locations throughout Canada and the United States.
In 2008, David Segal and his cousin Herschel Segal founded DavidsTea's headquarters and main offices in Montreal, but opened its first store on Queen Street in Toronto the same year, followed by its first Montreal store, in 2009. In 2010, the company had stores located across Canada, opening its 50th store in Waterloo, Ontario in 2011 and, that November, opened its first store outside of Canada, in New York City. A growing boutique tea industry expanded the company, by 2012, to more than 75 stores across North America, with over 150 varieties of tea.
In March 2016, co-founder David Segal resigned from DavidsTea.
On March 13, 2017, DavidsTea appointed Joel Silver as president and chief executive officer. On June 14, 2018, Silver resigned as chief executive after the company’s shareholders voted to elect a new group of directors to the company's board, including Herschel Segal, one of the company's original founders.
- "DavidsTea | About Us". Archived from the original on May 12, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "DAVIDsTEA - Our Story: The DAVIDsTEA Experience". DavidsTea. Retrieved July 14, 2018.
- Budak, Jasmine (June 8, 2011). "Steeped in success". Canadian Business.
- "From Starbucks to DavidsTea: Why big business is betting on Tea". CBC Radio.
- "The DavidTtea experience". DavidsTea. Archived from the original on September 9, 2017. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Schultz, Clark (June 5, 2015). "DAVIDsTEA pops on IPO open". Seeking Alpha.
- Schultz, Clark (April 7, 2015). "David's Tea files for U.S. IPO". Seeking Alpha.
- Bryan-Baynes, Elysia (April 12, 2013). "Montreal tea company gets plug from Oprah". Global News.
- Shaw, Hollie (March 21, 2016). "DavidsTea co-founder, namesake, David Segal resigns as chain's brand ambassador". Financial Post.
- "DAVIDsTEA Inc. Appoints Managing Director for U.S. Market and Opens 200th Store in North America". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "BRIEF-DAVIDsTEA appoints Joel Silver as president and CEO". Reuters. 2017. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "Release". March 13, 2017.
- Marowits, Ross (June 14, 2018). "DavidsTea founder wrests control of retailer, pledges path to profitability". Financial Post.
- "DavidsTea is coming soon to Loblaw grocery store shelves". Daily Hive Toronto. August 15, 2018. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to DavidsTea.|