|Davorin "Davo" Karničar|
Davorin "Davo" Karničar
October 26, 1962 |
Zgornje Jezersko, SR Slovenia, SFR Yugoslavia
|Occupation||Alpinist, Extreme skier|
As an active mountain skier, Davo was a member of the Yugoslavian national mountain ski team between 1975 and 1982. An alpinist since 1980, he climbed in 1989 to Nanga Parbat in Pakistan and in 1993 to K2, which borders Pakistan and China. In 1995 he made his first ski descent from Annapurna in Nepal and in 1996 he made a ski descent from Shishapangma in Tibet, China. As of 2010 he has accomplished over 1,500 mountain climbs and ski descents. He was the first person to make a complete ski descent from the Seven Summits, less than one month after the first person, Kit DesLauriers (a woman), skied from the top of all of the seven summits, but did not accomplish complete descents on Everest and Denali. Davo was only 38 years old when he became the first person to ski down from the summit of the highest mountain in the world, Mount Everest, on October 7, 2000.
His Seven Summits descents were:
- Mount Everest (8848 m) in Asia on October 7, 2000
- Kilimanjaro (5895 m) in Africa in November 2001
- Mount Elbrus (5642 m) in Europe in May 2002
- Aconcagua (6960 m) in South America in January 2003
- Mount Kosciuszko (2228 m) in Australia in August 2003
- Mount McKinley (6194 m) in North America in June 2004
- Vinson Massif (4897 m) in Antarctica on November 11, 2006
The other significant peaks he skied from include the north-east face of Eiger and the east face of Matterhorn in Switzerland and Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in Europe on the border between Italy and France. In February 2001, he guided the first ski school for Nepalese children on the Khumbu Glacier in Nepal .
- "Everest, the ultimate ride". Planet Mountain.
- "Statistics of 7 summits climber Davo Karnicar". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27.
- "Video - Skiing from 7 summits" (in Slovenian). April 6, 2009. Retrieved August 22, 2010.
- "The Greatest Moments on Everest: 9. The Mountain Gets Skied". April 24, 2012. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "'Insane' daredevil skis down Everest". The Guardian. October 8, 2000. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Intervju: Davo Karničar" (in Slovenian). March 24, 2010. Retrieved August 22, 2010.