Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas
The Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas refers to a designated three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011, to Sunday, April 24, 2011, during which Texas governor Rick Perry asked that Texans pray for "the healing of our land [Texas]" and for an end to the drought. The governor noted that in the past, Texans "have been strengthened, assured and lifted up through prayer", and thus believes the prayer to be an appropriate measure.
Perry designated the Days of Prayer in a gubernatorial proclamation issued on April 21. Precedents for his action included similar initiatives in Texas at the municipal level and a prayer service for rain led by Georgia governor Sonny Perdue in 2007.
The drought continued to worsen for four months following the Days of Prayer. While only 15-17% of the state was undergoing exceptional drought by late April, the percentage grew to 50% a month later, and by late June, more than 70% of the state was experiencing exceptional drought conditions, a level at which it persisted until August 18, 2011. Most of the drought conditions subsided by the end of summer, when rain returned to various parts of Texas.
The first major rain in the state after the Days of Prayer came 168 days later on October 9, 2011, coinciding with the 4th annual Texas Freethought Convention.
- Perry, Rick (April 21, 2011). "Gov. Perry Issues Proclamation for Days of Prayer for Rain in Texas". Office of the Governor. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- Leonard, Andrew (April 21, 2011). "The Texas climate change solution: God". Salon. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Texas gov declares 'Days of Prayer for Rain' to end drought". Boston Herald. Associated Press. April 21, 2011. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- Galbraith, Kate (April 21, 2011). "Texas Governor Declares Weekend of Prayer for Rain". The Texas Tribune. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- Connelly, Richard (April 22, 2011). "We Obey Rick Perry: Our Rain Prayer". Houston Press. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- Haberman, Hardy (April 21, 2011). "Gov. Rick Perry issues proclamation calling for 'Days of Prayer for Rain in Texas'". Dallas Voice. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Harsh drought in South hitting far and wide, report says". Reuters. August 1, 2011.