Dead Celebrity Status
||This article reads like a review rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (March 2009)|
|Dead Celebrity Status|
|Genres||Alternative hip hop, hip hop, rap rock|
|Labels||Bodog, Her Royal Majesty's Records, 6.8.2 Records Inc.|
|Associated acts||Project Wyze|
Dead Celebrity Status is a Canadian hip-hop group originating in Sudbury, Ontario. Rappers Yas Taalat and Bobby McIntosh, both former members of the rock/rap band Project Wyze, teamed up with onetime DMC World Champion DJ Dopey to form Dead Celebrity Status in 2003.
Following the breakup of Project Wyze, Yas and Bobby began writing and recording new material under a new label, Bodog Music. Dead Celebrity Status had been created, but the MCs felt that there was a missing component. They called upon DJ Dopey, an internationally renowned DJ to complete the group.
They partnered with producer Danny Saber, who has worked with acts like The Rolling Stones, U2, and Busta Rhymes to name a few. Saber’s connections allowed the group to feature high profile artists on their debut album, Blood Music, which was released in 2006. The album features collaborations with artists such as Joss Stone, Dave Navarro, Stephen Perkins, Bif Naked, Twiggy Ramirez, Limore Twena and DJ Lethal. “We Fall, We Fall” was the first single from the album. The track features the guitar talents of Dave Navarro and the lyrics address unreal expectations from pop culture and the music industry. “Messiah,” a track from Blood Music, was featured on the soundtrack of the 2005 movie xXx: State of the Union.
DCS has announced on their website () that their second album is scheduled to be released on August 6, 2013.
- Blood Music (2006)
- The Throwaway Kids (2013)
- "Them (A Prelude)" 3:52
- "The Throwaway Kids" 4:15
- "Hurts Like..." feat. Bea 4:27
- "They Will Love You" 4:16
- "What Have We Become" feat. Limore 4:37
- "Dancing on the Sun" feat. Charlie Berger 4:34
- "D.C.S Massive" feat. D-Sisive & Mag-T 5:12
- "Pretty Little Creepshow" 5:09
- "Shut It Down" 4:28
- "Rockstar" feat. Kelly Perras 4:31
- "Dead Famous" 4:19
- "Nothing in Common" 4:55
Most online music purchasing services, such as iTunes, Google Play Music, Spotify, and Amazon have the audios of the tracks "While I Was Asleep", "Five Deadly Fingers", and "Back To '88" switched, with the title of one, but the audio of the other.
- PunkTV.caChristie, Dixon (2007-02-10). "Dead Celebrity Interview with Yas in 2007". Retrieved October 12, 2008.
- Much Music Dead Celebrity Status "Dead Celebrity Status". Retrieved October 13, 2008.
- Bodog Music"Dead Celebrity Status at Bodog Music". Retrieved October 16, 2008.
- Dead Celebrity Status MySpace"Dead Celebrity Status MySpace Blog". Retrieved October 12, 2008.
- "XXX: State of the Union (2005) Soundtrack". Retrieved October 16, 2008.