This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019)
|"Dead Man's Party"|
|Single by Oingo Boingo|
|from the album Dead Man's Party|
|Released||April 29, 1986|
|Length||6:23 (album version)|
4:14 (b-side edit)
|Producer(s)||Danny Elfman, Steve Bartek|
|Oingo Boingo singles chronology|
The song was released on a 12" single in conjunction with another song from the album, "Stay," with the cover art touting it as the single's a-side, while the catalog number and some discographies consider it the single's b-side. An edited version of "Dead Man's Party" was featured in a promotional music video and was issued in 1986 as the b-side of the 7" single "Just Another Day," also culled from the Dead Man's Party album.
The lyric, "I hear the chauffeur coming to my door/Says there's room for maybe just one more," is a reference to "The Bus-Conductor," a short story by E. F. Benson about a hearse driver, first published in The Pall Mall Magazine in 1906. The story has been adapted several times and spawned an urban legend, with each version using the catchphrase, "Room for one more."
It is perhaps best known for its appearance in the 1986 film Back to School, where the band performed it at a party.
Danny Elfman performed the song as the final encore of his Nightmare Before Christmas concerts at the Hollywood Bowl in 2015, 2016, and 2018, and at Banc of California Stadium in 2021, alongside his former Oingo Boingo guitarist and arranger Steve Bartek.
- 12" single
- Dead Man's Party (Party 'Til You're Dead Mix) - 8:37
- Stay (Stay Late Mix) - 5:59
- Danny Elfman – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Steve Bartek – lead guitar
- John Avila – bass, keytar, vocals
- Mike Bacich – keyboards
- Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez – drums, percussion
- Sam Phipps – tenor saxophone
- Leon Schneiderman – baritone & alto saxophones
- Dale Turner – trumpet, trombone
- Michael Frondelli - mixing
- Snyder, Michael (September 30, 2019). "Spooky, scary, and silly tunes". Marina Times. Retrieved May 28, 2023.
And let's not forget the venerable rock [cut]..."Dead Man's Party" by new-wavers Oingo Boingo...
- "Oingo Boingo - Stay / Dead Man's Party". Discogs. 1986.
- "Oingo Boingo - Just Another Day". Discogs. 1985.
- "Danny Elfman, Billie Eilish provide new Halloween treats at sold-out ‘Nightmare Before Christmas’ concert – Daily News"