Finnish title screen
|Directed by||Rike Jokela|
|Country of origin||Finland|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Production location(s)||Uusimaa region, Finland|
|Running time||44 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Dionysos Films H&V Production|
|Picture format||2.20:1 (1080i50)|
|Original release||14 March 2018|
Deadwind (Finnish: Karppi) is a Finnish crime drama and Nordic noir television series directed and created by Rike Jokela, starring Pihla Viitala, Lauri Tilkanen, Jani Volanen, and Tommi Korpela. It premiered in Finland in March 2018 on Yle TV2 and in August 2018 on Netflix. The show follows Sofia Karppi, a female detective of the Finnish police who is recently widowed in her 30s with two children. She returns to police work in Helsinki, and her first case is the murder of Anna Bergdahl, a social affairs consultant.
Sofia Karppi (Pihla Viitala) returns to her work as a homicide detective in the Helsinki Police Department while taking care of two children after the accidental death of her husband. Rookie detective Sakari Nurmi (Lauri Tilkanen) is transferred from the financial crime unit to the homicide unit as Karppi's partner. Their first case begins as a routine disappearance. Women's clothes found at a construction site leads the detectives to the body of social affairs consultant Anna Bergdahl (Pamela Tola) — buried with flowers in her hands at a shore belonging to wind power research firm Tempo. Anna has been murdered, and her husband, Usko Bergdahl (Jani Volanen), is confused after hearing about the incident. Karppi and Nurmi start investigating Anna's background, such as her job with the Tempo company and its critical construction project.
- Pihla Viitala as Sofia Karppi
- Lauri Tilkanen as Sakari Nurmi
- Jani Volanen as Usko Bergdahl
- Pamela Tola as Anna Bergdahl
- Eedit Patrakka as Armi Bergdahl
- Elsa Brotherus as Isla Bergdahl
- Tommi Korpela as Alex Hoikkala
- Pirjo Lonka as Julia Hoikkala
- Riku Nieminen as Roope Hoikkala
- Jonna Järnefelt as Linda Hoikkala
- Raimo Grönberg as Tapio Koskimäki
- Mimosa Willamo as Henna Honkasuo
- Noa Tola as Emil Karppi
- Mikko Nousiainen as Jarkko Vaahtera
- Marjaana Maijala as Maria Litma
- Tobias Zilliacus as Rannikko
- August Wittgenstein as Andreas Wolf
- Ville Myllyrinne as JP
- Vera Kiiskinen as Raisa Peltola
- Kari Hietalahti as Louhivuori
- Antti Virmavirta as Lennart
- Ylermi Rajamaa as Kiiski
- Antti Reini as Stig Olander
- Eero Ritala as Leo Rastas
- Jemina Sillanpää as Laura
- Alina Tomnikov as Iiris
- Sulevi Peltola as Tuomas
- Lilga Kovanko as Saara
- Juhani Niemelä as Paavali Pusenius
- Eero Milonoff as Jyränkoski
- Minna Suuronen as Arjatsalo
- Rabbe Smedlund as Fredrik Hoikkala
Deadwind premiered in Finland on 14 March 2018 on Yle TV2 and on 23 August 2018 on Netflix. The series was co-written by director Rike Jokela with Jari Olavi Rantala and Kirsi Porkka. It was distributed by the French About Premium Content and co-produced by the Finnish Dionysos Films and the German H&V Production. Season 2 is currently being written with shooting scheduled for spring 2019.
Season 1 of Deadwind received strong reviews and ratings in Finland after it aired on Yle TV2. It was compared to the Danish crime series The Killing and was nominated at the 2018 Nordisk Film & TV Fond Prize in the Best Nordic Screenplay category. Noel Murray of The Verge described the series as "realistically grim, but also offers the simple satisfaction of watching smart professionals bring some order to a chaotic world, one case at a time." Bustle magazine's Rebecca Patton compared the show, for example, to the Danish-Swedish The Bridge series, and summarized that Deadwind is "just as compelling and addictive as its predecessors. After all, no one does brooding crime shows like the Scandinavians."
- Pham, Annika (2018-08-05). "Netflix brings Finnish series Deadwind to the world". Nordisk Film & TV Fond. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- Hannonen, Inka (16 November 2016). "Pihla Viitala debytoi rikosetsivänä uudessa Karppi-sarjassa" (in Finnish). Yleisradio.
- Yrttiaho, Tuomo (14 March 2018). "Karppi on valoa tunnelin päässä". Helsingin Sanomat (in Finnish). p. B 25.
- "This weekend, dive into "Nordic noir" with Deadwind on Netflix". The Verge. 2018-11-09. Retrieved 2019-01-20.
- Patton, Rebecca (2018-08-23). "Don't Worry, There's Definitely More 'Deadwind' On The Way — But It Could Be A While". Bustle. Retrieved 2019-01-27.