Dean Bertram (PhD) is a freelance writer, filmmaker, and film festival director based in Sydney, Australia. He is the co-founder of A Night of Horror International Film Festival.
In 2006, Bertram graduated with a PhD in American cultural history from the University of Sydney. His dissertation, as its title suggests - Flying Saucer Culture: An Historical Survey of American UFO Belief - traces and examines the development of UFO belief within the context of American culture and society.
Bertram has written for a range of publications including The Australian, The Australian Financial Review, People Magazine, IPA Review, 3D World and Fortean Times. Several of his articles are archived online, including a piece on his time studying the Unarius UFO cult, an overview of conspiracy orientated cinema, and an expose of the fascist ideology that lurks behind The Da Vinci Code. He was a regular contributor and columnist for The Spectator Australia from 2010 to 2014.
In an interview for the horror news website HorrorScope, Bertram traces his love of the horror genre to having watched John Carpenter's seminal horror film Halloween, at the age of ten. This is the time that Bertram shot his first Super 8 film.
In February 2008, he completed principal photography on his first feature film Sick Day. Bertram who wrote the film, co-directed it with his brother Grant. As of June 2008, Sick Day is still in post-production.
A Night of Horror International Film Festival
- Research Degrees in the Department of History University of Sydney.
- Bertram, Dean. "The Unarius Society." Fortean Times. May 2002.
- "Dean Bertram: Cracking the conspiracy code." The Australian. 18 May 2006.
- "Dean Bertram: Jesus hoax born of a fascist's fantasies." The Australian. 2 March 2006.
- Interview: Dr. Dean Bertram. OzHorrorscope. 21 September 2007.
- Annie Get Your Whale Boy at the Internet Movie Database
- Foresta Rossa at the Internet Movie Database
- Time Out Sydney, 23–29 April 2008, pg. 48
- Smoke and Mirrors magazine, June–August, 2008, pg. 30
- Encore Magazine, June 2008, pg. 46
- Drum Media, 1 April, no. 899, pg. 71
Freelance Writing Jobs - for talented individuals, writers and researchers.