Dean L. Larsen
|Dean L. Larsen|
|First Quorum of the Seventy|
|October 1, 1976– October 4, 1997|
|End reason||Granted general authority emeritus status|
|Presidency of the Seventy|
|February 22, 1980– August 15, 1993|
|End reason||Honorably released|
|Emeritus General Authority|
|October 4, 1997|
|Born||Dean LeRoy Larsen
May 24, 1927
Hyrum, Utah, United States
Dean LeRoy Larsen (born May 24, 1927) has been a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) since 1976 and was the eighteenth Church Historian and Recorder from 1985 to 1997.
Larsen was born in Hyrum, Utah. After briefly serving in the United States Navy at the end of the Second World War, Larson attended the University of Utah and Utah State University, graduating from Utah State with a degree in English and Spanish.
Larsen married Geneal Johnson and they became the parents of five children.
In 1962, Larsen was appointed the secretary of the LDS Church Indian Committee. He taught for one year at the Institute of Religion at the University of Utah and then was asked to become president of the church's Texas South Mission. Upon completing this three-year assignment, Larsen taught at the Institute of Religion in Ogden, Utah. In the LDS Church, Larsen has served as a bishop and regional representative. In 1976, Larsen became the editor of all church magazines.
Later in 1976, he became a general authority and member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, where he served until being designated an emeritus general authority in 1997. From 1980 to 1993, Larsen was a member of the Presidency of the Seventy; he was the senior member of the presidency from 1986 to 1993. He also served a term as Church Historian and Recorder, succeeding G. Homer Durham. After he was released in 1997, the office of Church Historian remained vacant until Marlin K. Jensen was called in 2005.
- Lewis, William O, III. "Dean L. Larsen, General Authority". Grandpa Bill's G. A. Pages. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- Faust, James E. (October 1997). "The Sustaining of Church Officers". 167th Semiannual General Conference. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- Lloyd, R. Scott (May 28, 2005). "Historian by yearning' collects, preserves: Elder Marlin K. Jensen is historian/recorder". Church News. Deseret Morning News.
- "Provo Utah Temple: Presidents", ldschurchtemples.com.
- "Elder Dean L. Larsen of the First Quorum of Seventy," Ensign, November 1976, pp. 136–37