|Full name||Dean Paul Mercer|
|Born||24 November 1969|
Bulli, New South Wales
|Died||28 August 2017 (aged 47)|
|Sport||Ironman surf lifesaving|
Mercer was born in Bulli and raised in Thirroul, both suburbs of Wollongong. Early in his career, Mercer and his brother Darren were coached by their father, John. Mercer became a professional ironman at 15 and competed from 1987 to 2010. He won the Australian open ironman titles in 1989 and 1995, and five New South Wales championships. In 1997 he won the World Oceanman series. He competed in his last Coolangatta Gold aged 40.
Mercer married Kaylene Costello in 1998.
In 2013, a magistrates court ordered Mercer to repay almost $700 after stealing bedsheets from a department store. No conviction was recorded.
- "Profile: Dean Mercer". The Sydney Morning Herald. 18 February 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Koubaridis, Andrew; Matthey, James (28 August 2017). "High profile former Ironman Dean Mercer dies on the Gold Coast". news.com.au. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Former ironman Dean Mercer in court over pinching sheets". sunshinecoastdaily.com.au. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Condon, Matt (9 October 1988). "Ironmen fight for top honour". The Sun-Herald.
John Mercer, father and coach of the Mercer brothers...Undoubtedly the pressure will be on 20-year-old Darren Mercer, of Thirroul, south of Sydney, to defend his title. He and brother Dean, 18, have trained harder than ever.
- "Former Ironman Dean Mercer dies in car crash on way home from training". ABC News. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) entry for Mercer, Dean Paul". It's an Honour, Australian Honours Database. Canberra, Australia: Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
OAM/Aust Day 1992 (General Division. For service to surf lifesaving
- "Welcome Dean Mercer as Surf Sports Officer". kurrawasurf.com.au. 29 October 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "The Ones To Watch - Open Males" (PDF). Media Guide Coolangatta Gold. p. 15.
- Brienen, Julee (26 January 1999). "The mighty Dean machine keeps on keeping strong!". The Illawarra Mercury. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Tobin, Glenn (20 April 1998). "Mercer Marries His Sweetheart". The Illawarra Mercury.
Ironman champion Dean Mercer has always ridden on the crest of a winning wave and on Saturday it peaked beautifully when he married long-time sweetheart Kaylene Costello.
- Brown, Jenny (5 May 2003). "Dean marries his queen Reen". Woman's Day.