|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
decocidio #ϴ logo
Climate Justice Action
Decocidio #ϴ is an anonymous, autonomous collective of hacktivists which is part of Earth First!, a radical environmental protest organisation, and adheres to Climate Justice Action. In their hacks the group shows affiliation with the autonomous Hackbloc collective.
The logo of the collective is an upper case theta preceded by a hash symbol or number sign. In many scripting languages the # introduces a comment that goes to the end of the line. The upper case theta was in 1969 made into an Ecology Symbol by cartoonist Ron Cobb, that later became associated with Earth Day. This letter of the Greek alphabet also pictured on the Ecology Flag used by American environmentalists in the 1970s.
- deco- is an anagram for the word code
- -cidio originates from the Latin caedere, which means to kill. It's the Spanish variant of the suffix -cide, as in homicide (Sp.: homicidio)
European Climate Exchange
On 23 July 2010 at 23:23 UTC, decocidio #ϴ targeted the public website of the European Climate Exchange, a leading marketplace for trading CO2 emissions in Europe. The website showed a spoof homepage for around 22 hours in an effort to promote the contention that carbon trading is a false solution to the climate crisis.
- "European Climate Exchange (ECX) target of decocidio hacktivists against carbon trading scam". Earth First!. 23 July 2010.
- Phillips, Leigh (26 July 2010). "Hackers shut down EU carbon-trading website". The Guardian.
- Quaid, John (27 July 2010). "European Climate Exchange site hacked". Financial Services Technology.
- Leyden, John (26 July 2010). "EU climate exchange website hit by green-hat hacker". The Register.
- Lechner, Michael. "Hacker-Attacke legt ECX-Website vorübergehend lahm" (in German). Dow Jones Business Newsletters.