Deer Valley High School (Arizona)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Deer Valley High School|
|18424 N 51st Ave.
United States of America
|School district||Deer Valley Unified School District|
|Enrollment||1,911 (October 1, 2012)|
|Color(s)||Navy, silver, and Columbia blue|
Deer Valley High School is a public high school located in Glendale, Arizona, part of the Deer Valley Unified School District. The school opened its doors in 1980 with an initial enrollment of 750 students. Today, the campus is housed on more than 60 acres (240,000 m2) with a current enrollment of about 1,900 students. Deer Valley High School has been recognized for student achievements in a range of academics and athletics. The school is run by over 100 teachers, five counselors, one psychologist, four administrators, and numerous other support staff with Kim Crooks as the current principal. The 2011 renovation was the first major renovations to the school since its 1980 construction.
Deer Valley High School offers all Arizona Interscholastic Association-sanctioned sports as of the 2011-2012 school year (with the addition of badminton across the district). Since 1985, the school has won 10 state titles: three in softball; two in girls' cross country; and one each in boys' track and field, boys' tennis, baseball, boys' volleyball, and girls' basketball.
- Academic Decathlon
- Art Club
- Best Buddies
- Board Game Club
- Chess Club
- Christian Club on Campus
- Close-Up Government
- Cosplay Club
- Drama/Thespian Club
- Drill Team
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- International Club
- Invisible Children Club
- Key Club
- Mock Trial
- National Honor Society
- Newspaper (The Skyhawk Flight)
- P31 Bible Study
- Peer Mediators
- Physics Club
- Quill & Scroll
- Science Club
- Society of Female Scholars
- Spanish Club
- Spanish Honor Society
- Student Government
The current band program offers three concert bands (Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Winds and Symphonic Band), (formally) three jazz bands (Performance Jazz Ensemble, Advanced Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble), several Jazz Combos, Marching Band, Orchestra, Percussion and Colorguard.
The Deer Valley Performance Jazz Ensemble was selected to perform at the 60th Annual Midwest Clinic in 2006. The Performance Jazz Ensemble has won three national contests (2002 and 2006 Conn-Selmer Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Jazz Contest, and the 2006 Music and Arts Spring Swing Competition), has been national runners-up twice (2003 and 2004, Conn-Selmer Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Jazz Contest), and was featured at the 2005 and 2006 Arizona Music Educator's Conference.
The Marching Band has performed in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (1994), the Tournament of Roses Parade (1994), and the Fiesta Bowl National Pageant of Bands.
The school hosted its own jazz festival and hosts the DVUSD marching bands exhibition.
The 2006-2007 Marching Band received a rating of Superior with Distinction at the 2006 State Marching Festival. The Performance Jazz Ensemble was invited to perform at the 2007 Western International Band Clinic in Seattle.
On October 20, 2007 the Marching Band received the Rating of Superior at the Arizona State University Band Day, as well as awards for Outstanding Music, Visual, GE and Auxiliary.
The Performance Jazz Ensemble most recently had a work commissioned by Fred Sturm called "Skyhawk", published by the Lorenz Corporation.
The Deer Valley Skyhawk Marching Band won the 2014 Division II AZ State Championships with a performance score of 85.
- Khristopher Davis, Major League Baseball player
- Bob Howry, former MLB player (Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, and Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Ty Murray, professional bull rider; married to Jewel 2008–2014.
- Nate Ruess, lead singer of Fun., formerly of The Format
- Jamie Varner, state runner-up wrestler; professional mixed martial artist; former World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) Lightweight Champion; currently in Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)
- AIA 2012 enrollment figures Archived October 21, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Piecoro, Nick. "Diamondbacks, Bob Howry agree to terms on one year deal." The Arizona Republic 26 December 2009: link
- O'Connor, Christopher (9 Oct 2003). "Adjusting to Format". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Jamie Varner UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.