Delhi District Secondary School
|Delhi District Secondary School|
|393 James Street 
Delhi, Ontario, N4B 2B6
|School type||Public, high school|
|School board||Grand Erie District School Board|
|School number||903728 |
|Principal||Alison High |
|Vice principal||Tina Baker|
|Enrollment||546  (October 29, 2010)|
|Area||Norfolk County, Ontario|
|Colour(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Team name||Delhi Raiders|
This rural school had one of the lowest enrollment rates in Norfolk County, and had been considered for closure on several occasions, until September 2010 when they received over 200 students from Norwich Secondary School. Delhi District Secondary School has a variety of athletic teams. These include football, cheerleading, basketball, volleyball, soccer (association football), tennis, badminton, cross country, track and field, scholastic wrestling, swimming and more. They are collectively known as the "Raiders." The Delhi teams usually have a rivalry with the athletic teams from Simcoe Composite School and Holy Trinity.
For one of the smallest schools in the district the Raiders have the biggest spirit and sense of community and therefore won the 2010 Young Canada Day at Norfolk County Fair (defeating both Holy Trinity and Simcoe Composite School). Delhi also won first place over all as the defending champions at the Norfolk County Fair 2011. They received first in Cheerleading, Mens Tug of War, Special Effects to win first over all.
Port Dover Composite School was officially closed permanently on January 31, 2013. In response, DDSS has beefed up their academics programs in an attempt to keep transfer students from going to their rival Simcoe Composite School. Advanced placement courses were made available for senior academic subjects. Busing for the Norwich area was eventually kept intact; as they represented the northernmost traditional boundary for DDSS busing.
- "Contacts". Delhi District Secondary School. Retrieved 2006-07-27.
- "School Information". Ontario Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2006-07-27.
- "GEDSB School Directory". Delhi District Secondary School. Retrieved 2006-07-27.[dead link]
- Hartlen, Vicki (2007-01-31). "New principal, vice-principal excited about DDSS future". Delhi News-Record (Bowes Publishers). Retrieved 2007-02-09.
- "Secondary Enrolments". Grand Erie District School Board. Retrieved 2006-07-27.[dead link]
- "PDCS will close at end of semester". The Simcoe Reformer. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Accommodation Review Committee (ARC) - Norfolk Secondary". Grand Erie District School Board. Retrieved 2012-11-03.
|This Ontario school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|