Department of Immigration and Citizenship
|Formed||30 January 2007|
|Dissolved||18 September 2013|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Employees||8,811 (at April 2013)|
|Annual budget||A$1.9 billion (2008-09 estimate)|
The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (also called DIAC) was an Australian government department that existed between January 2007 and September 2013, that was preceded by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs and was succeeded by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
Information about the department's functions and/or government funding allocation could be found in the Administrative Arrangements Orders, the annual Portfolio Budget Statements, in the Department's annual reports and on the Department's website.
According to the Administrative Arrangements Order (AAO) made on 3 December 2007, the Department dealt with:
- Entry, stay and departure arrangements for non-citizens
- Border immigration control
- Arrangements for the settlement of migrants and humanitarian entrants, other than migrant child education
- Ethnic affairs
- Multicultural affairs
The Department was an Australian Public Service department, staffed by officials who were responsible to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship. The Secretary of the Department was at first Andrew Metcalfe (until 2012), then (acting in the position) Martin Bowles. Bowles was appointed permanent Secretary in early 2013.
- CA 9152: Department of Immigration and Citizenship, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 15 December 2013
- Australian Public Service Commission (2 December 2013), State of the Service Report: State of the Service Series 2012-13 (PDF), Australian Public Service Commission, p. 253, archived from the original (PDF) on 6 December 2013
- Department of Immigration and Citizenship (May 2008), Agency Resources and Planned Performance (PDF), Department of Immigration and Citizenship, p. 17, archived from the original (PDF) on 12 April 2012
- Department of Immigration and Border Protection, Martin Bowles PSM, Secretary (PDF), Department of Immigration and Border Protection, archived from the original (PDF) on 10 November 2013
- Administrative Arrangements Order made on 3 December 2007 (PDF), National Archives of Australia, 3 December 2007, archived from the original (PDF) on 28 April 2013
- Gillard, Julia (28 September 2012). "Appointment of Secretaries" (Press release). Archived from the original on 19 December 2013.
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|