Derald Wing Sue
|Derald Wing Sue|
|Alma mater||University of Oregon|
|Sub discipline||Counseling psychology|
Derald Wing Sue is a professor of counseling psychology at Columbia University. He has authored several books, including Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice, Overcoming our Racism, and Understanding Abnormal Behavior.
Sue was born in Portland, Oregon to a Chinese American family. His family lived in a predominantly wealthy white neighborhood, with his parents, four brothers, and one sister He remembers "being teased due to his ethnicity" during early childhood 
He married his wife Paulina in the 1960s. They have two children.
Sue obtained his bachelor's degree from Oregon State University, and then a MS and PhD in counseling psychology from the University of Oregon. After completing his degree, he became a counselor at the University of California, Berkeley counseling center, and was known as the counselor who supported Asian American students. During his time at Berkeley, he conducted mental health studies on Asian Americans, which then led him to coauthor two books: A Theory of Multicultural Counseling and Therapy and Understanding Abnormal Behavior.
In 1981, Sue published Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice. In addition to being a professor of psychology at Teachers College, he served on Bill Clinton's President's Advisory Board on Race in 1996. He served as a past president of the Society for the Psychological Study of Ethnic Minority Issues, and the president of the Society of Counseling Psychology of the American Psychological Association. Along with Melba J. T. Vasquez and Rosie Bingham, he co-founded the National Multicultural Conference and Summit in 1999.
He has written over 150 publications on various topics such as multicultural counseling and psychotherapy, psychology of racism and antiracism, cultural diversity, cultural competence, and multicultural organizational development, but more specifically, multicultural competencies and racial microaggressions.
- Derald Wing Sue bibliography, Columbia University Teachers College website; accessed October 27, 2014.
- Derald Wing Sue bibliography, aa.ufl.edu; accessed October 27, 2014.
- Leong, F. T. L. (2008, April). Encyclopedia of Counseling; retrieved from: Derald Wing Sue, Encyclopedia of Counseling (archived), books.google.com; accessed October 27, 2014.
- Profile, apa.org; accessed December 11, 2016.
- Munsey, Christopher (February 2006). "Cover Story: A family for Asian psychologists. Members of the Asian American Psychological Association push for attention to the needs of an oft-neglected community.". Monitor on Psychology. American Psychological Association. 37 (2): 60. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- Derald Wing Sue personal info, newsle.com; accessed October 27, 2014.
- "Asian American Psychological Association". Aapaonline.org. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- Clinton Advisory Board on Race site, clinton4.nara.gov; accessed October 27, 2014.