Shearer speaks at The Nexus Institute in 2016
|United States Ambassador to Finland|
July 1, 1994 – October 31, 1997
|Preceded by||John Hubert Kelly|
|Succeeded by||Eric S. Edelman|
|Residence||Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles|
|Education||Yale University (BA) |
Union Graduate School (Ph.D)
Derek Shearer is the former United States Ambassador to Finland. He is currently employed by Occidental College, directing the McKinnon Center for Global Affairs and serving as a Chevalier Professor of Diplomacy and World Affairs.
He is the son of gossip columnist Lloyd Shearer. He has a younger brother, Cody, and a sister, Brooke. The parents of his father had immigrated from Austria. His roommate Talbott married his sister Brooke. Shearer was married to Ruth Yannatta Goldway, who had served as the mayor of Santa Monica, California.
- Wadler, Joyce. "Lloyd Shearer, Longtime Celebrity Columnist, Dies at 84." The New York Times. May 27, 2001. Retrieved on August 5, 2014.
- "Talk by Ambassador Derek Shearer on the Obama-Romney Presidential Campaign" (Archive). Pembroke College, Cambridge University. Retrieved on August 5, 2014.
- "Ambassador Derek Shearer: Sports, Diplomacy and Soft Power - A Framework for Analysis" (Archive). John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University. Wednesday April 30, 2014.
- "Derek Shearer" (Archive). Occidental College. Retrieved on August 5, 2014.
- "Brooke Shearer dies at 58; former journalist, personal aide to Hillary Clinton." Los Angeles Times. Retrieved on August 6, 2014.
- Scott, A. O. "Cody Shearer" (Archive). Slate. May 22, 1999. Retrieved on August 5, 2014.
- Woo, Elaine. "Lloyd Shearer; Leader of the 'Personality Parade'" (Obituaries). Los Angeles Times. May 26, 2001. Retrieved on August 5, 2014. Also printed in: "Lloyd Shearer, Wrote `Personality Parade'" In: Sun Sentinel. May 28, 2001.
John Hubert Kelly
| United States Ambassador to Finland
Eric S. Edelman