Dhruv Patel (politician)
|Alma mater||Imperial College|
Dhruv Patel OBE is a British businessman, community organiser and politician. He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2018 Birthday Honours.
Patel has been elected to the Court of Common Council of the City of London Corporation since 2013 and was appointed chair of the community and children's services in 2015. In 2019, he became the first Indian origin chairman of the City Bridge Trust which is London's largest independent grant making charity. Prior to working as a councillor he was an executive at Barclays Capital.
He is the founder of the City Hindus Network, an organisation based in the City of London which was setup in 2005 representing 3,000+ Hindu professionals. In 2007 he organised the first Hindu community engagement event at City Hall with support from Ken Livingstone to celebrate the contributions of Britain's half a million Hindus living in the UK to economy, culture and social life.
In 2020 he supported the set up the London Communities Response Fund to help provide money for organisations facing immediate financial pressures as a result of Covid-19.
Awards and recognition
He is married to Anita Patel and they have 2 children. They are annually featured in the Asian power couples list.
- "Dhruv Patel elected as a member of the City of London Corporation". Asian Voice (p.2).
- News, Asian Lite (5 June 2015). "Dhruv Patel gets new post". Local News for British Asian and Indian Community in London. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- Sangam, Sowmya (11 May 2019). "Dhruv Patel, Founder of City Hindus Network in London, Is Now Chairman of London's Largest Grant Provider". NRINewsToday. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- "London's Largest Grant Provider Elects First Indian-Origin Chairman". NDTV.com. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- "Bankers who go into politics and champion the City". eFinancialCareers. 23 May 2014. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- "In London, City Hindus Network Launched | The Pluralism Project". pluralism.org. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- Subscribe. "Mayor of London Recognises Hindu Contribution to British". Hindu Janajagruti Samiti. Retrieved 15 September 2020.
- NewAsianPost (3 November 2015), Dhruv Patel speaking at the Mansion House Diwali celebration 2015, retrieved 17 May 2019
- "City of London Corporation asks Square Mile to donate to coronavirus fund". CityAM. 22 March 2020. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "Indian-origin entrepreneur receives royal honour in UK for service to Hindu community". Hindustan Times. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- ABPL. "Dhruv Patel receives OBE from Duke of Cambridge, Prince William..." asian-voice.com. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- "Surname P". Asian Power Couples. Retrieved 19 May 2019.