Richard Arthur Bradsell
4 May 1959
Bishop's Stortford, England, United Kingdom
|Died||27 February 2016 (aged 56)|
London, England, United Kingdom
Richard Arthur "Dick" Bradsell (4 May 1959 – 27 February 2016) was a London bartender noted for his innovative work with cocktails, including the creation of many new drinks now considered to be modern classics. The Observer described him as the "cocktail king", while Waitrose Food Illustrated compared him to celebrity chefs and the San Francisco Chronicle credited him with "single-handedly (changing) the face of the London cocktails scene in the 1980s."
Bradsell was born in Bishop's Stortford, England. Bradsell was acclaimed for inventing several new cocktails, including the Espresso Martini, the Bramble, the Treacle, the Carol Channing, the Russian Spring Punch and the Wibble. It was reported that Bradsell could "rarely enter a bar without an enthusiastic bartender thrusting his version of the (Espresso Martini) drink at him."
- "Dick Bradsell, Bartender Who Helped Revive London Cocktail Scene, Dies at 56". The New York Times. 3 March 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- Mover and shaker at The Observer/The Guardian, by Michael Jackson , 9 July 2000 (retrieved 14 December 2010)
- "Mover and Shaker", by Jonathan Goodall, from Waitrose Food Illustrated, January 1999, archived at Waitrose.com Archived 26 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine (retrieved 14 December 2010)
- Here's to the genius who created the Treacle by Gary Regan, San Francisco Chronicle, 15 August 2010 (retrieved 14 December 2010)
- Dick Bradsell, Bartender Who Helped Revive London Cocktail Scene, Dies at 56, by Robert Simonson, in the New York Times; published 2 March 2016, retrieved 4 March 2016
- According to Difford's Guide for Discerning Drinkers 2013, Top 100 Cocktails (link) Archived 23 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine, accessed 15 October 2014.
- Cecchini, Toby (16 June 2010). "Case Study: The Bramble". NYTimes.com.
- Regan, Gaz. "The Cocktailian:Treacle". Imbibe UK.
- Parkin, Sophie (25 March 2016). "Dick Bradsell obituary". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- This quote is from Difford's Guide for Discerning Drinkers 2013, Top 100 Cocktails (link) Archived 23 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine, published in April 2013, accessed 15 October 2014.
- Dick Bradsell, by Simon Difford, at Difford's Guide for Discerning Drinkers; retrieved 1 March 2016
- Interview with Dick Bradsell
- List of London's best barmen, featuring Dick Bradsell as a 'Taste maker'
- George Sinclair's Tribute Page
- Dick Bradsell and his Bramble Cocktail