Dirty Ghosts are a San Francisco rock band formed in 2006 by Allyson Baker, Carson Binks and Baker's then-husband Aesop Rock, AKA Ian Bavitz. After the departure of Binks and Bavitz, Baker remained as the driving force in the band.
The band formed after the dissolution of Baker and Binks' prior band Parchman Farm, with Baker's then-husband Bavitz providing beats via drum machine. The first song "Battle Slang" released in 2009 was described by Pitchfork as "riff-tastic with stuttering snares and a gritty bass pulse." The demos and singles they recorded eventually became the Metal Moon album, released in 2012 on Last Gang Records. Baker explained what influenced the sound of Metal Moon to CMJ "The idea of music based on the beat, with the guitar and bass working around each other yet together in a really minimal and non-linear way. The first album had more of that type of influence, and definitely my surroundings played a role in that—living with a rapper who was producing his own music in the next room."
In 2015, Last Gang also released their follow-up LP Let It Pretend, with musical influences from post-punk and bands like Duran Duran, Devo and The Stranglers. After Binks' and Bavitz' departure, the Dirty Ghosts live band was composed of Erin Mcdermott on bass, and Tony Sevener (Honeycut, Summercamp) on drums - occasionally taking Sevener's place have been Paul Quattrone (Modey Lemon, !!!) and Andrew Moszynski (The Deadly Snakes). In 2016 the band toured Europe supporting Kelley Stoltz and performed in the US alongside Diiv at Noise Pop 2016. Other shows included performing alongside Boss Hog, Silver Apples and Stephen Malkmus.
Baker's past affiliations include playing guitar in Toronto bands Armed & Hammered, The Shuttlecocks, Teen Crud Combo and Parchman Farm, the latter of which she formed after moving to San Francisco in the early 2000s. She's played guitar on releases by Aesop Rock, !!!, Kimya Dawson, The Dwarves, Cage, El-P, Slug & Murs and Kelley Stoltz.
2011 Shout It In 7" - Classic Bar Music
2012 Metal Moon - LP, Last Gang Records
2012 Katana Rock/Eyes Of A Stranger 7" -Last Gang Records
2013 Third Man Records Desert Gold 7" Box Set Live single, Third Man Records
2015 Let It Pretend- LP, Last Gang Records
2016 Witch Hunt - 7" (Rubber Tracks)
"Ropes That Way"- Mikey Young, Total Control
"Cataract" - Tobacco
- "Beyond the paranormal with Allyson Baker and Dirty Ghosts - Features - Impose Magazine". imposemagazine.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- Pehling, Dave. "Dirty Ghosts Explore Drum Loop Rock". sfweekly.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- ""Battle Slang" | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Q&A: Dirty Ghosts". CMJ. 2015-07-24. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- Ghosts, Dirty. "Dirty Ghosts interview". SF Weekly.
- "Allyson Baker Of Dirty Ghosts". morganshotelgroup.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Highlights From Noise Pop 2016". cbslocal.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- Radio, Wolf Pack. "Review // Dirty Ghosts // Let It Pretend – Wolf Pack Radio". wolfpackradio.org. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Dirty Ghosts-Katana Rock (Video 2012)". imdb.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Footnote 98 - Allyson Baker (Dirty Ghosts, Teen Crud Combo)". audioboom.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Allyson Baker". discogs.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Dirty Ghosts - Shout It In". discogs.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Metal Moon, by Dirty Ghosts". bandcamp.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Katana Rock / Eyes Of A Stranger (Single), by Dirty Ghosts". bandcamp.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Dirty Ghosts releasing 'Cataract' EP on Burger featuring remixes by Mikey Young & Tobacco (listen); LP #2 this fall". brooklynvegan.com. Retrieved 4 February 2017.