Dog shaming, also known as animal shaming, is an internet meme whereby an image of a dog or other animal is uploaded to the internet with a sign which describes some recent negative behaviour perpetrated by the animal. The meme originated on Tumblr in August 2012.
Dog shaming is the name given to the activity where a dog owner creates a sign to describe a negative activity that the dog has participated in. For example, the sign might read "I dug a hole in the carpet". The sign is then either hung around the dog's neck, or placed next to the animal and is photographed and published on the internet. It has been compared to PostSecret, and a viral image of child shaming.
The internet meme originated on the Tumblr page Dogshaming in August 2012. The very first image posted by Pascale Lemire was of her Dachshund who had eaten her husband Mike LeBlanc's underwear. Other animals such as cats have since been featured as early as 2003 from Australia by an unknown source referred to as Maxman. The concept was turned into a Tumblr blog by Chris Mohney, who works as editorial director at Tumblr, using Pascale Lemire's original image along with a handful of other images. He described dog shaming as "a half-baked joke that I didn't think would amount to much beyond a few hours' amusement". It went viral after Mohney added the ability to upload additional images to the site. It was discussed on NBC's Today, with hosts Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb thinking that it was funny, but Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie disagreeing. A video called "The Ultimate Dog Shaming," released on YouTube on October 7, 2012 gained national attention for its depiction of a beagle named Maymo being dog-shamed for hoarding water jugs and destroying an antique stuffed panda bear, among other things.
On September 24, 2013, author Pascale Lemire will release[needs update] the book Dog Shaming. Mohney turned over the online assets of Dogshaming to Lemire, the original creator, in August 2012, allowing her to run the site her original image helped create; Lemire stated in at least one interview that she is the sole owner of the dogshaming.com website.
While not as popular, the meme has also expanded to cat shaming.
- Hotchkiss, Joe (10 November 2012). "Oh, the shame of it: Are more folks out of touch with humility?". The Augusta Chronicle. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Storm: Ashamed of shaming?". Reflector.com. 25 November 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Pous, Terri (22 August 2012). "Dogshaming: The Greatest Tumblr of Canine Misbehavior Ever". Time. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "These 10 dogs cutely get 'sign-shamed'". MSN Now. 22 August 2012. Archived from the original on 26 August 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Dad punishes kid by making her hold sign on street". MSN Now. 29 April 2012. Archived from the original on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- McDermott, Kerry (21 August 2012). "Bad boy! Pet owners share their frustration with their pesky pooches in 'dogshaming' craze . . . and cats come in for scorn too". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Manning, James (22 August 2012). "Bark louder than their bite: Dogshaming craze takes off". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan (23 August 2012). "Dogshaming Tumblr Goes Viral As Owners Pan Naughty Pooches". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Smolinski, Julieann (22 August 2012). "Is dog shaming hilarious? The anchors differ". Today. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Ultimate Dog Shaming: Maymo The Cabbage-Stealing Dog Confesses All Of His Crimes (VIDEO)". Huffington Post. October 9, 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Milligan, Paul (October 20, 2012). "'I broke a slinky trying to wear it as a headband': Bizarre antics of mischievous pooch in hilarious dog shaming video". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Clements, Erin (14 November 2012). "Lauren Conrad Dog-Shames New Puppy". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Dog Shaming". amazon.com. 30 May 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Dogshaming Blog Founder Tells All". People Pets. 27 August 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Featured Blogger: Pascale Lemire of Dogshaming". Blog Ads. 30 November 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Cat Shaming Photos - WeekendCollective.com