Don't Let the Man Get You Down
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Don't Let the Man Get You Down"|
|Single by Fatboy Slim|
|from the album Palookaville|
|Released||4 July 2005|
|Fatboy Slim singles chronology|
"Don't Let the Man Get You Down" is a song by British big beat musician Fatboy Slim. It was released as a single from his album Palookaville. The single peaked at number 153 on the UK Singles Chart. It samples the opening line of the song "Signs" by Five Man Electrical Band.
The song was remixed by the French band Justice. The song was featured in the Spike Jonze directed skateboarding video Yeah Right!. Both Jonze and Ty Evans submitted the ending credits montage as a possible music video, but it was declined. It is also featured in SSX 3.
The music video is in the style of a black and white public service announcement. It starts off with the title 'A film by Neighborhood Watch (The End is Near)' then it switches to a white man named Don, and it states that 'Don likes to fish' and 'Don is a racist'. Throughout the video, it shows Don living a day in his life showing hatred, disdain, and distrust of non-whites. A figure in black, thought to be the figure on the 'This is a Neighborhood Watch Community' sign, is seen stalking Don in the background during the scenes in the parking lot, water fountain and Mexican restaurant scenes. After shooing some dark-skinned kids off of his boat, he furiously marches across the street and is hit by a car, dropping his prized fishing trophy. As an Asian man sees him and calls 911. It can also be argued that the Asian man hangs up when he realizes it is Don, as there are no subtitles of the Asian man talking to the 911 services, white lettering states 'Look both ways before crossing the street', 'And don't be a racist', and 'or else'.
There are five other alternate endings of the music video, which included on The Greatest Hits – Why Make Videos DVD:
- 'Always wait 30 minutes after you eat before swimming', 'And don't be a racist, or else.' (Don drowns in a pool) This ending featured a cameo from Paris Hilton.
- 'Don't talk to strangers', 'And don't be a racist, or else.' (Don is killed by a 'Neighbourhood Watch Community' figure in black)
- 'Always pay your debts', 'And don't be a racist, or else.' (Don is killed by an Asian man)
- 'This is Hollywood, anything is possible', 'And don't be a racist, or else you die by a horse.' (Don is killed by a knight riding a horse)
- 'Always take small bites', 'And don't be a racist, or else you die.' (Don is choked while eating)
- "Don't Let the Man Get You Down" – 4:01
- "Don't Let the Man Get You Down" (Justice Remix) – 4:01
|UK Singles Chart||153|