Don Valley Academy
|Don Valley Academy, Delta Academies Trust|
Don Valley High School (2006)
|Department for Education URN||137472 Tables|
|Principal||Mr. R Brooke|
|Age||11 to 18|
Don Valley Academy member of Delta Academies Trust (formerly Don Valley School and Performing Arts College) is a mixed 11–18 Academy located in Scawthorpe, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. The school also has a Sixth Form centre.
The original school was built in the mid-1950s, with the first intake of pupils in September 1957. What was effectively another school was built in the mid-1960s as part of the move by the West Riding County Council to comprehensive education. It had more facilities than the existing one, including a swimming pool and much enhanced stage facilities in the main hall. The new school took up approximately half of the former playing fields . The second school ran for a year or so as a separate entity before the two merged to become Don Valley Comprehensive School. This naming was only brief and the school was soon renamed back to Don Valley High School, reportedly at the insistence of the then headmaster, Mr Horncastle. The newer school served students in their first three years of senior school, aged 11 to 14; the older school served them in the remainder of their time, aged 14 to 18, and included the lower and upper sixth forms.
In 2006, Don Valley became a Performing Arts College. Every student has a choice of dramatic arts or media to study. In 2011, Don Valley became an academy progressing from a performing arts school.
Doncaster Collegiate Sixth Form
The school is part of the Doncaster Collegiate Sixth Form which combines the sixth form offering from Ash Hill Academy, De Warenne Academy, Don Valley Academy, Rossington All Saints Academy and Serlby Park Academy.
- Contacts Archived 21 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine. Don Valley School. Retrieved on 7 January 2008.
- The School Archived 17 May 2007 at the Wayback Machine. Don Valley School. Retrieved on 7 January 2008.
- "Don Valley School and Performing Arts College – Inspection Report". Ofsted. 2006. Archived from the original on 3 August 2008. Retrieved 7 January 2008.
- "Specialist Schools Home". DfES. July 2006. Archived from the original on 3 August 2006. Retrieved 2 August 2006.
- "Collegiate Sixth Form". csix.org.uk.
- Bandini, Paolo (26 May 2011). "Sarah Stevenson". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 February 2014.