Donna Mercado Kim
|Donna Mercado Kim|
|13th President of the Hawaii Senate|
December 28, 2012 – May 5, 2015
|Preceded by||Shan Tsutsui|
|Succeeded by||Ron Kouchi|
|Member of the Hawaii Senate
from the 14th district
|Preceded by||Norman Mizuguchi|
|Member of the Honolulu City Council, District VII|
|Succeeded by||Romy Cachola|
|Born||Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of Hawaii, Manoa
Washington State University
From 1982 to 1984, Kim was a member of the Hawaiʻi House of Representatives.
Elected to the Senate in 2000, Kim has chaired the Committee on Tourism, the Committee on Ways and Means, the Special Committee on Accountability, and the Task Force on Reinventing Government.
From 2003 to 2008 and again from 2011 to 2013, Kim served as Vice President of the Senate.
In 2013, Kim became President of the Hawaiʻi Senate, replacing Shan Tsutsui who left the position to become Lieutenant Governor. As President of the Senate, Kim earned $53,773 annually. In May 2013, Kim was accused of pressuring the President of the University of Hawaiʻi to accept her son's application to the William S. Richardson School of Law.
Kim's tenure as President of the Senate ended in 2015 after an unusual midyear leadership reorganization.
Kim was born in Honolulu.
- Shapiro, Treena. "Two vie for Mizuguchi’s Senate seat Harding faces 'worthy battle' against Abinsay". The Honolulu Star-Bulletin. October 13, 2000. "This year legislative and City Council veteran Donna Mercado Kim is the Democrat running to fill the vacancy created by Senate President Norman Mizuguchi's retirement."
- Dingeman, Robbie. "Change urged in spending reports". The Honolulu Advertiser. October 23, 2000. p. 1B.
- Office of the City Clerk (24 April 2014). "COUNCILMEMBERS of the HONOLULU CITY COUNCIL 1961–Present". honolulu.gov. City and County of Honolulu. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "Donna Mercado Kim chosen Hawaiʻi Senate president". Hawaiʻi Tribune Herald. Honolulu. 29 December 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- Kerr, Keoki (28 December 2012). "Donna Mercado Kim named Hawaiʻi State Senate President". Hawaiʻi News Now. Honolulu. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- DePledge, Derrick (22 May 2013). "Kim disputes Greenwood's account of pressure". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Honolulu. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- Dayton, Kevin (5 May 2015). "Kauai's Kouchi replaces Kim as Senate president". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- Medina, Andrei (4 January 2013). "Donna Mercado Kim becomes first Fil-Am to head Hawaiʻi Senate". GMA News Online. Honolulu. Retrieved 5 May 2015.