Dope Body performing in 2011, as seen in a video still.
|Origin||Baltimore, Maryland, US|
|Genres||Noise rock, post-hardcore, hardcore punk, sludge metal|
|Labels||Drag City, Hoss, Black Tent Press, Forge Again, Watercolor|
|Associated acts||Sick Weapons, Roomrunner, Holy Ghost Party|
|Past members||Jesse Lyell|
Dope Body was a noise rock band from Baltimore, Maryland formed in 2008 by vocalist Andrew Laumann, guitarist/bassist Zachary Utz, and drummer David Jacober. They released four full-length records in addition to a cassette tape and two split records. They expanded to a quartet, adding bassist Jesse Lyell in 2011, who was replaced by John Jones, late of local contemporaries Roomrunner, the next year.
All natives of the Baltimore area, Dope Body, named for a quote from an online video the band enjoyed, originally came together in 2008 for a one-off show at Baltimore's Natural History museum space, while Andrew Laumann was located in San Francisco. The show was very successful, and the band continued, with Laumann soon moving back to Baltimore and the group releasing the Twenty Pound Brick cassette the next year. More live dates with the likes of Double Dagger soon followed, as well as a split LP with Brooklyn duo Orphan. 2011 was an especially productive year for Dope Body, with their debut full length Nupping coming out on Hoss Records, followed by a split record with Detroit's Child Bite. The group expanded its lineup in 2011, adding Jesse Lyell, who had played with Baltimore punk band Sick Weapons, as a full-time bassist. 2012 saw Lyell leaving the group with John Jones, formerly of Roomrunner taking his place, and the release of Natural History on Drag City records, which was recorded with J. Robbins of Jawbox fame. Dope Body also toured Europe in 2012, released their Saturday EP in 2013 and released their album LIFER in 2014.
Dope Body decided to call it quits in 2016. They played two final shows in May; one at Metro Gallery and one at Floristree. The band decided it was a good time to end it instead of playing the same songs forever. All members are planning to stay active in the Baltimore arts and music scene; Utz and Jacober play with Lexie Mountain in the band Scroll Downers, John makes music as Nerftoss, and Andrew is keeping busy with the Baltimore visual arts scene.
Sound and style
- Twenty Pound Brick, Watercolor, 2009
- Self Entitled (split with Orphan), Black Tent Press, 2010
- Nupping, Hoss, 2011
- Natural History, Drag City, 2012
- Lifer, Drag City, 2014
- Kunk, Drag City, 2015
Singles and EPs
- Split with Child Bite, Forge Again, 2011
- Saturday, Drag City, 2013
- Dope Body | Drag City http://www.dragcity.com/artists/dope-body
- Dope Body: Noise-Rock Bros Restore Baltimore's Hard Edge https://www.spin.com/2012/05/dope-body-noise-rock-bros-restore-baltimores-hard-edge/
- Supersonic 2012: This Little Girl Ain't Afraid Of Nobody - Dope Body Interviewed http://thequietus.com/articles/10029-dope-body-supersonic-2012
- Dope Body: Natural History http://www.allmusic.com/album/natural-history-mw0002329153