Dori Jones Yang
Dori Jones Yang is an American author and journalist specializing in topics related to China.
Dori Jones Yang's most widely read book is Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time (1997), co-authored with Howard Schultz, chairman and CEO of Starbucks. The book was translated into ten languages and reached several bestseller lists.
In 2000, she wrote a book for children called The Secret Voice of Gina Zhang, which won the Pleasant T. Rowland Prize for Fiction for Girls and the Skipping Stones Honor Award for multicultural and international books in 2001.
Yang’s latest book, The Forbidden Temptation of Baseball, won the 2017 Freeman Book Award for books about Asia in the young adult/high school literature category. It also won five other awards.
Born in 1954 as Dorothy E. Jones in Youngstown, Ohio, Yang studied at Hathaway Brown School in Cleveland, earned a bachelor's degree in European history at Princeton University and earned a master's degree in international relations from Johns Hopkins University. She studied Mandarin Chinese and taught English in Singapore on a Princeton-in-Asia fellowship. She traveled extensively throughout East and Southeast Asia, as well as Nepal, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Iran.
Yang trained in journalism at the Youngstown Vindicator, National Observer, The Daily Princetonian, and China Business Review. She joined Business Week in 1981 and worked there for fifteen years, as an international business editor in New York, bureau manager in Hong Kong (1982–1990) and bureau manager in Seattle (1990–1995). She covered the Tiananmen Square protests in Beijing in June 1989.
After marrying Paul Yang in 1985, she began writing under the byline of Dori Jones Yang. She worked as West Coast business and technology correspondent for U.S. News & World Report from 1999 to 2001.
- Dori Jones Yang author page on Amazon.com
- Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time on Amazon.com
- New York Times: Business Best Sellers. Nov. 2, 1997.
- The Secret Voice of Gina Zhang on Amazon.com
- Skipping Stones Honor award webpage
- Daughter of Xanadu on Amazon.com
- Daughter of Xanadu at RandomHouse.com
- yang, Dori Jones. The Forbidden Temptation of Baseball. ISBN 978-1-943006-32-8.
- Freeman book award webpage http://nctasia.org/freeman-book-awards
- The Forbidden Temptation of Baseball on Amazon
- Yang, Dori Jones. “We Had Everything to Learn” in Kirkpatrick, Melanie, Princeton-in-Asia: A Century of Service. Reminiscences and Reflections, 1898-1998. Published by Princeton-in-Asia, 1998.
- Greco, Elizabeth S. “A Youngstown Globetrotter: Dori Jones Yang ’72.” Hathaway Brown Today, summer 2000.
- Yang, Dori Jones. “Banners, Bravery, and Brutality: A Reporter’s Parting Look at Beijing,” Business Week, June 19, 1989.
- Milliken, Peter H. “Writing Advice: Demonstrate initiative, persistence, author says.” Youngstown Vindicator, January 28, 2001.