|Industry||Cloud platform as a service|
|Founder||Philipp Strube, Tobias Wilken, Thomas Ruland|
|Günter Kraft, Peter Elsayeh, Thomas Ludwig, Philipp Möhring|
cloudControl was a European company offering a platform as a service (PaaS) based in Berlin, Germany. Officially supported languages for development and deployment were Java, PHP, Python and Ruby via the open buildpack API originally developed by Heroku.
cloudControl was founded in January 2009 by Philipp Strube, Tobias Wilken and Thomas Ruland in Bonn, Germany. The company moved to the Berlin, Germany area in early 2010 after getting business angel investor funding. Production support for the PHP programming language was announced in October 2010. The company raised venture capital funding August 2011. As a result of this, support for Java, Python and Ruby programming languages started in October 2012.
In August 2014 it acquired the dotCloud brand from American company Docker, Inc. dotCloud was a Platform as a service company using the open-source Docker software; it was the original developer of Docker.
In January 2016 the company sent out a letter to its customers that it was shutting down.
Unfortunately I have to inform you, that cloudControl our German parent company has filed for bankruptcy. Due to this, dotCloud will be shutdown on February 29, 2016. To avoid service disruption of your apps hosted on dotCloud or prevent data loss, you are required to migrate your applications.
- Ron Miller (August 4, 2014). "Docker Sells dotCloud to cloudControl To Focus On Core Container Business". Tech Crunch. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- "Developer Cloud Platform". Web site. Archived from the original on January 21, 2016. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- "Docker Sells dotCloud to cloudControl To Focus On Core Container Business". TechCrunch. AOL. 4 August 2014.
- "Ben Golub, Who Sold Gluster to Red Hat, Now Running dotCloud - Maureen O'Gara".
- "DotCloud, the cloud service that gave birth to Docker, is shutting down on February 29 - VentureBeat - Cloud - by Jordan Novet". VentureBeat.
- "cloudControl joins exoscale". Exoscale. April 11, 2016.
- @cloudcontrolled (February 16, 2016). "Unfortunately we have to shutdown the cloudControl PaaS by February 29, 2016" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "dotCloud dotGone: Ex-Docker PaaS passes away amid bankruptcy". The Register. January 22, 2016.
- Jordan Novet (January 22, 2016). "DotCloud, the cloud service that gave birth to Docker, is shutting down on February 29". Venture Beat. Retrieved June 17, 2017.