Brooklyn, New York
|Education||B.A. Adelphi University|
|Known for||CEO of real estate brokerage firm Douglas Elliman|
The daughter of Joseph and Louise D'Ambrosio, Dorothy D'Ambrosio was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Syosset on Long Island. She recalls that she resolved to "make something of herself" after her mother died in an automobile accident when she was 10 years old.
Dorothy D'Ambrosio began working in real estate in 1978 while she was a student at Adelphi University. After beginning and building her career on Long Island, in 1989 she and partner Carll S. Burr III purchased Prudential Long Island Realty. After expanding that company, in 2003 she purchased Douglas Elliman, Manhattan’s largest brokerage firm, with her partner Howard Lorber. Since then, Douglas Elliman has become the largest and fastest-growing real estate firm in New York.
Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Douglas Elliman Real Estate under the leadership of Dorothy D'Ambrosio is now the fourth largest real estate company in the United States. With a team of 6,000 agents in more than 80 offices throughout New York City as well as the Hamptons, Westchester, Connecticut, South Florida, Colorado and California, Douglas Elliman Real Estate’s sales volume exceeded $22 billion in 2015  with a closing every 19 minutes.
'Eye On Real Estate' Radio/Podcast
On Saturday's Dottie Herman hosts 'Eye On Real Estate' - broadcast live on WNYM AM970 and offered as a podcast. Along with a panel of industry experts, Herman provides insight and tips on various aspects of real estate.
In June 2016 Forbes named Dottie Herman 'America's Richest Self-Made Woman In Real Estate' and she has twice been named among the 100 most influential women in New York business by Crain’s New York Business.
In August 2015, Dottie Herman earned an Innovator Award from Inman for her contributions as CEO of Douglas Ellliman. She was honored by Adelphi University as the 2007 Outstanding Executive on Long Island.
- Pranay Gupte, Profile: Dorothy Herman, The New York Sun, 2005-02-28
- Regina Marcazzo, Dorothy Herman, President, Prudential Long Island Realty Archived August 7, 2009, at the Wayback Machine., Networking Newspaper For Women, July 2000
- Personal website of Dottie Herman
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-01-05. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- Elizabeth MacBride, Chutzpah Builds a Name: Dottie Herman, in Crain's 100 Most Influential Women in NYC Business, Crain's New York Business, September 30, 2007
- "University Advancement News". Adelphi University. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- [The Real Deal: "Dottie Herman" By Candace Taylor] retrieved August 1, 2014