Drew D. Perkins
Drew D. Perkins is a serial entrepreneur and is one of the lead authors of the Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), an early internet technology that provided for access to the internet via the circuit-switched telephone system.
Perkins has founded or was a key early employee in at least 7 companies.
Companies founded or materially developed by Perkins include:
- Infinera, a public company which was co-founded by Perkins in 2001.
- Gainspeed, which was sold to Nokia in 2016. Since it was founded in 2012, Gainspeed had raised $55 million in financing from investors including New Enterprise Associates, Andreessen Horowitz, Shasta Ventures, Technicolor, and Juniper Networks.
- OnFiber Communications, which was sold to Qwest Communications for $107 million in cash in 2006. Other owners of Onfiber included Bear Stearns Merchant Banking (11%) and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (30%).
- Lightera Networks, which was acquired by Ciena in 1999 in exchange for 20.6 million shares in Ciena.
- FORE Systems, where Perkins was the principal architect from 1993 to 1997. The company was sold in 1999 for $4.5 billion.
Perkins participated in a $5 million seed financing for RevUp Software in March 2016.
Perkins participated in a $26 million Series B financing for Console Inc. in November 2015.
- Sun, Andrew (1999). Using and managing PPP. O'Reilly Media. p. 5. ISBN 978-1-56592-321-8. Retrieved 10 March 2010.
- Bautts, Tony; Terry Dawson; Gregor N. Purdy (2005). Linux network administrator's guide. O'Reilly Media. p. 97. ISBN 978-0-596-00548-1. Retrieved 10 March 2010.
- "Launching and Getting Funding for Start-up Companies: A Fireside Chat with Drew Perkins". The Optical Networking and Communication Conference & Exhibition. March 23, 2016.
- "Infinera Announces Drew Perkins to Step Down as CTO and Remain as Technical Advisor" (Press release). Infinera. December 21, 2011.
- "Gainspeed to Be Acquired by Nokia" (Press release). Business Wire. June 9, 2016.
- "Nokia Nabs Gainspeed". Multichannel. August 1, 2016.
- "Qwest Completes Acquisition Of OnFiber Communications, Inc." (Press release). CenturyLink. September 5, 2006.
- "DOMESTIC SECTION 214 APPLICATION FILED FOR TRANSFER OF CONTROL OF ONFIBER, INC. TO QWEST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION" (PDF). Federal Communications Commission . June 19, 2006.
- "Ciena to Acquire Lightera and Omnia" (Press release). Los Angeles Times. March 16, 1999.
- "The Drew Perkins Hot Seat". Carnegie Mellon University. May 25, 2004.
- "GEC Agrees to Acquire FORE Systems, Inc. for $35 Per Share In Cash Transaction Valued in Excess of $4 Billion" (Press release). Business Wire. April 26, 1999.
- "RevUp Announces Major Financing Update" (Press release). Business Wire. March 24, 2016.
- "IIX Receives $26 Million in Series B Funding to Accelerate Global Growth" (Press release). Console Inc. November 17, 2015.
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|