Dru yoga is a style of yoga that works with postures, breath work, relaxation and meditation. Its series or sequences are called Energy Block Release. According to "Dru World Wide" this yoga style has thousands of practitioners in 31 countries.
The word Dru in the name refers to the hindu deity dhruva, a prince from the Hindu mythology the god Vishnu honored with the eternal abode on the Pole Star (Dhruva Nakshatra in sanskrit).
Dru was started in 1978 by Mansukh Patel, Chris Barrington, Rita Goswami, Annie Jones and John Jones at Bangor University. It is inspired by the teachings of Francis of Assisi and Mahatma Gandhi.
With their head office in Nant Ffrancon in a former motel, near Bethesda, Gwynedd Dru Worldwide and affiliates have registered Dru yoga as their trademark in Australia and the US. The organisation changed its name from Life Foundation School of Therapeutics Ltd to the World Peace Flame Foundation, and has also been known as Life Foundation International, Dru (UK) Ltd and Dru World Wide.
The Sunday Mail reported in 2001 that of funds raised only a fraction went to charity. In 2006 ex-members of the organization came forward with allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse within the organization. Other efforts by the Life Foundation were criticized, such as the Eternal Peace Flame. The Dutch web directory SIMPOS was collating articles in English, critical of the organisation and its former leader Mansukh Patel.
- Dru Yoga and its history in the West
- Mansukh Patel, an inspiring leader, Stephen Vargas, Mar 23, 2015
- Dru yoga, Yoga Magazine, Jenny van den Heuvel, 27 september 2016
- Contact us, Dru
- He siphoned off cash from charity funds, The Mail on Sunday, 18 June 2006
- trademarkify.com.au, Dru Yoga Australia Life Foundation School of Therapeutics search result, retrieved June 2, 2013.
- 'Life Foundation School of Therapeutics Ltd, Cylex Company Information', retrieved 10 June 2013
- 'Dru (UK) Ltd, Companies in the UK', retrieved 10 June 2013
- 'Dru (UK) Ltd, Companies in the UK', Dru Yoga Trademark Intellectual Property Office 01/04/2004
- 'Dru (UK) Ltd, Companies in the UK', Dru Yoga Trademark Intellectual Property Office 16/07/1999
- Gurus get $1/2m but only give charity $5000, public introduction to a not freely available archive site, accessed June 2, 2013.
- Seks met Mansukh tilde je op een hoger plan, Trouw, 21 May 2006.
- 'Paul was little more than a shell. He was like a zombie', The Observer, 19 november 2006.
- Church concerns over 'peace flame' plan, The Guardian, 28 april 2013.
- 'Organisers deny Dru Yoga conference linked to cult', Religious News, 29 August 2008.
- Yoga teacher training: How to handle a reputation crisis
- Dru World Wide
- Life Foundation, SIMPOS web directory, collation of critical articles in English
- Exposing Cults: When the Skeptical Mind Confronts the Mystical, David C. Lane, 1994
|This Yoga-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|