EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset
EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset (also EPSG registry) is a public registry of geodetic datums, spatial reference systems, Earth ellipsoids, coordinate transformations and related units of measurement. Originally created by European Petroleum Survey Group (EPSG). Each entity is assigned an EPSG code between 1024-32767,: 39  along with a standard machine-readable well-known text (WKT) representation. The dataset is actively maintained by the IOGP Geomatics Committee.
Most geographic information systems (GIS) and GIS libraries use EPSG codes as Spatial Reference System Identifiers (SRIDs) and EPSG definition data for identifying coordinate reference systems, projections, and performing transformations between these systems, while some also support SRIDs issued by other organizations (such as Esri).
Common EPSG codes
- EPSG:4326 - WGS 84, latitude/longitude coordinate system based on the Earth's center of mass, used by the Global Positioning System among others.
- EPSG:3857 - Web Mercator projection used for display by many web-based mapping tools, including Google Maps and OpenStreetMap.
- EPSG:7789 - International Terrestrial Reference Frame 2014 (ITRF2014), an Earth-fixed system that is independent of continental drift.
The dataset was originally created by European Petroleum Survey Group in 1985 and was made public in 1993.
In 2005, the EPSG organisation was merged into International Association of Oil & Gas Producers (IOGP), and became the Geomatics Committee. However, the name of the EPSG registry was kept to avoid confusion. Since then, the acronym "EPSG" became increasingly synonymous with the dataset or registry itself.
- Cain, Jim (9 May 2013). "Coordinate Reference Systems (Best Practices for Assignment, Manipulation and Conversion in GIS Systems)" (PDF). 2013 ESRI Petroleum GIS Conference.
- "EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset Application User Guide". EPSG Registry. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "IOGP Geomatics Committee (poster)" (PDF).
- "International Terrestrial Reference Frame 2014 (ITRF2014)". Quality Positioning Services B.V. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Using the EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset" (PDF). IOGP Geomatics Committee. August 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2019-12-31.
- Giudici, Michael (28 August 2019). "GDA2020 and overcoming the 'Web Mercator Dilemma'". Spatial Source. Retrieved 2019-10-03.