A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original author(s)||Wolfgang Meier|
|Developer(s)||Pierrick Brihayne, Leif-Jöran Olsson, Adam Retter, Dmitriy Shabanov, and Dannes Wessels.|
4.6.0 / February 19, 2019
5.0.0-RC6 / February 19, 2019
|Operating system||Linux, Mac, Windows|
|Standard(s)||XQuery XSLT XPath XUpdate XQJ DTD XML Schema RelaxNG XML|
|License||GNU LGPL v2.1.|
eXist-db (or eXist for short) is an open source software project for NoSQL databases built on XML technology. It is classified as both a NoSQL document-oriented database system and a native XML database (and it provides support for XML, JSON, HTML and Binary documents). Unlike most relational database management systems (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases, eXist-db provides XQuery and XSLT as its query and application programming languages.
eXist-db is released under version 2.1 of the GNU LGPL.
eXist-db was created in 2000 by Wolfgang Meier. Major versions released were 1.0 in September 2006, 2.0 in February 2013, 3.0 in February 2017, 4.0 in February 2018, and 5.0.0-RC1 in June 2018.
There is an O'Reilly book for eXist-db which is co-authored by Adam Retter and Erik Siegel.
eXist-db allows software developers to persist XML/JSON/Binary documents without writing extensive middleware. eXist-db follows and extends many W3C XML standards such as XQuery. eXist-db also supports REST interfaces for interfacing with AJAX-type web forms. Applications such as XForms may save their data by using just a few lines of code. The WebDAV interface to eXist-db allows users to "drag and drop" XML files directly into the eXist-db database. eXist-db automatically indexes documents using a keyword indexing system.
Supported standards and technologies
eXist-db has support for the following standards and technologies:
- XPath - XML Path language
- XQuery - XML Query language
- XSLT - Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations
- XSL-FO - XSL Formatting Objects
- WebDAV - Web distributed authoring and versioning
- REST - Representational state transfer (URL encoding)
- RESTXQ - RESTful annotations for XQuery
- XInclude - server-side include file processing (limited support)
- XML-RPC - a remote procedure call protocol
- XProc - a XML Pipeline processing language
- XQuery API for Java
- XML database
- XQuery - W3C XML query language
- XPath - W3C XML data selection language
- WebDAV - Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning
- BaseX - another Open Source Native XML Database
- CouchDB - a document-oriented database based on JSON
- Siegel, Erik; Retter, Adam (2014). eXist : A NoSQL Document Database and Application Platform. O'Reilly Media. ISBN 978-1-4493-3710-0.