A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original author(s)||Wolfgang Meier|
|Developer(s)||Pierrick Brihayne, Leif-Jöran Olsson, Adam Retter, Dmitriy Shabanov, and Dannes Wessels.|
5.0.0 / September 2, 2019
|Operating system||Linux, Mac, Windows|
|Standard(s)||XQuery XSLT XPath XUpdate XQJ DTD XML Schema RelaxNG XML|
|License||GNU LGPL v2.1.|
eXist-db (or eXist for short) is an open source software project for NoSQL databases built on XML technology. It is classified as both a NoSQL document-oriented database system and a native XML database (and it provides support for XML, JSON, HTML and Binary documents). Unlike most relational database management systems (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases, eXist-db provides XQuery and XSLT as its query and application programming languages.
eXist-db is released under version 2.1 of the GNU LGPL.
eXist-db was created in 2000 by Wolfgang Meier. Major versions released were 1.0 in October 2006, 2.0 in February 2013, 3.0 in February 2017, 4.0 in February 2018, and 5.0.0 in September 2019.
There is an O'Reilly book for eXist-db which is co-authored by Adam Retter and Erik Siegel.
eXist-db allows software developers to persist XML/JSON/Binary documents without writing extensive middleware. eXist-db follows and extends many W3C XML standards such as XQuery. eXist-db also supports REST interfaces for interfacing with AJAX-type web forms. Applications such as XForms may save their data by using just a few lines of code. The WebDAV interface to eXist-db allows users to "drag and drop" XML files directly into the eXist-db database. eXist-db automatically indexes documents using a keyword indexing system.
Supported standards and technologies
eXist-db has support for the following standards and technologies:
- XPath - XML Path language
- XQuery - XML Query language
- XSLT - Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations
- XSL-FO - XSL Formatting Objects
- WebDAV - Web distributed authoring and versioning
- REST - Representational state transfer (URL encoding)
- RESTXQ - RESTful annotations for XQuery
- XInclude - server-side include file processing (limited support)
- XML-RPC - a remote procedure call protocol
- XProc - a XML Pipeline processing language
- XQuery API for Java
- XML database
- XQuery - W3C XML query language
- XPath - W3C XML data selection language
- WebDAV - Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning
- BaseX - another Open Source Native XML Database
- CouchDB - a document-oriented database based on JSON
- Siegel, Erik; Retter, Adam (2014). eXist : A NoSQL Document Database and Application Platform. O'Reilly Media. ISBN 978-1-4493-3710-0.