Economic Forum in Krynica
Krynica Economic Forum - an annual international meeting of economic and political elites held in the first half of September at the ski and spa resort of Krynica-Zdrój in southern Poland. The Forum was founded by Zygmunt Berdychowski in 1992 and it is organised by the Foundation Institute for Eastern Studies in Warsaw. Within 25 years of its history the Krynica Economic Forum has evolved from a small conference, with about 100 participants, to one of the biggest and most recognisable meetings of the political and business leaders of Central and Eastern Europe, and is therefore sometimes referred to as the "Eastern Davos".
According to the organisers, the mission of the Economic Forum is to create a favorable climate for development of political and economic cooperation in Europe. The opinions of the Forum's speakers are often quoted by the international media and discussed by leading analysts.
The Forum engages political, business and third sector leaders, i.a.: presidents, prime ministers, ministers, EU commissioners, parliamentarians, presidents of large companies, experts, as well as representatives of cultural institutions and media. The 26th edition of the Economic Forum in 2016 was attended by over 3,000 visitors from 60 countries in Europe, Asia and the Americas. The following speakers have attended the Forum over the years, among others:
Valdas Adamkus, José María Aznar, Gordon Bajnai, José Manuel Barroso, Marek Belka, Elmar Brok, Jerzy Buzek, Emil Constantinescu, Massimo D'Alema, Norman Davis, Valdis Dombrovskis, Roland Dumas, Andrzej Duda, Mikuláš Dzurinda, Robert Fico, Vladimir Filat, Jan Fisher, Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović, Alfred Gusenbauer, Dalia Grybauskaitė, Rebecca Harms, Václav Havel, Danuta Hübner, Toomas Hendrik Ilves, Ǵorge Iwanow, Arseniy Yatsenyuk, Viktor Yanukovych, Sergey Yastrzhembsky, Viktor Yushchenko, Jarosław Kaczyński, Ewa Kopacz, Aleksander Kwaśniewski, Bronisław Komorowski, Gediminas Kirkilas, Horst Kohler, Milan Kučan, Vytautas Landsbergis, Thomas de Maizière, Stjepan Mesić, Mario Monti, Leszek Miller, Viktor Orbán, Andris Piebalgs, Petro Poroshenko, Viviane Reding, Mikheil Saakashvili, Jorge Sampaio, Karel Schwarzenberg, Bohuslav Sobotka, László Sólyom, Beata Szydło, Boris Tadić, Mirek Topolánek, Donald Tusk, Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga, Lech Wałęsa, José Luis Zapatero, Amanda Zuffi.
Over 180 debates and discussion panels are held annually during the Forum. They are grouped in the following theme paths:
- Business and Management
- New Economy
- State and Reforms
- Health Care
- The Regions' Forum
The Forum is regularly covered by journalists from major international media outlets. The debates and discussion panels have been covered by Bloomberg, AFP, Reuters or TASS, and by leading daily newspapers such as: Die Welt, Le Figaro, Euronews, Kommersant, Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal.
- "Krynica: Mapping the Road to Central and Eastern Europe — 26 Years On - Emerging-Europe.com". Emerging-Europe.com. 2016-09-12. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Od spotkania w małej salce, po miano "Davos Europy Środkowo-Wschodniej". Jak Forum Ekonomiczne w Krynicy podbiło Europę". INNPoland.pl. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "World Bank in the Krynica Economic Forum – the "Davos for Eastern Europe"". Retrieved 2018-06-16.
- "Trwa XXVI Forum Ekonomiczne w Krynicy | Wrota Podlasia". www.wrotapodlasia.pl. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Ukraine, Hungary agree to enhance cooperation - 07.09.2016 15:14 — Ukrinform News". Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "The Warsaw Voice". www.warsawvoice.pl. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "European politics discussed in Krynica". Polskie Radio dla Zagranicy. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Record for Krynica Economic Forum". Polskie Radio dla Zagranicy. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- SA, Polska Agencja Prasowa. "XXVI Economic Forum in Krynica. United or Divided? Europe in the Face of the Challenges of Tomorrow (Krynica, 6-8 September, 2016)". centrumprasowe.pap.pl. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Media about Forum | Forum Ekonomiczne | Economic Forum". www.forum-ekonomiczne.pl. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Poland may block sale of local EDF, Engie assets under new law". Reuters. 2016-09-07. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Malopolska, il viaggio di euronews al centro del miracolo economico polacco". euronews. 2016-09-29. Retrieved 2016-10-24.