Ed Johnson (American football)
|No. 99, 92|
|Date of birth:||December 18, 1983|
|Place of birth:||Detroit, Michigan|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||296 lb (134 kg)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Edward Andre Johnson (born December 18, 1983 in Detroit, Michigan) is a former American football defensive tackle. He was signed by the Indianapolis Colts as undrafted free agent in 2007. He played college football at Penn State.
Johnson was a multi-sport star at Crockett Technical High School in Detroit, playing football, basketball and track and field. Won the class B state championship in the 100 m and 200 m dash in both 1997 and 1998.
Johnson had an immediate impact in his NFL debut, registering 3 solo tackles in the Colt's Week 1 victory over the New Orleans Saints in relief of the injured Anthony McFarland. He would lead Colts linemen in tackles in 2007 with 72, including a season-high 9 tackles in the Colts' AFC Divisional Playoff loss to the San Diego Chargers. He finished the season ranked in the top 20 in tackles among NFL rookies.
The only defensive lineman to start all 16 games for the Colts in 2007, Johnson received the Thomas W. Moses Sr./Noble Max Award, given annually by Indianapolis media to a player "who has overcome adversity in his career, or whose on-field accomplishments exceeded normal expectations."
On September 10, 2008, it was reported that Johnson had been stopped by Hamilton County, Indiana police on I-465 for speeding and was also found to have marijuana in his possession. He was arrested and released after posting bond. After a brief internal investigation, the Colts cut Johnson from the team less than 24 hours later.
On October 13, 2009, Johnson was waived by the Colts for the second time. At the press conference announcing the move, Caldwell said that the decision was based more on "production than anything else."
- "Rookie Stats by Player". nfl.com. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- Wogenrich, Mark (2008-01-12). "Noble effort by Colts' Johnson". The Morning Call. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- Richards, Phil (2008-09-10). "Colts tackle busted in pot possession case". IndyStar.com. Archived from the original on September 12, 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-10.
- Chappell, Mike (2008-09-10). "Colts tackle Ed Johnson cut from Colts". IndyStar.com. Archived from the original on September 11, 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-10.
- Smith, Michael David (2008-09-10). "Colts Cut Ed Johnson Hours After Pot Arrest". AOL Sports Fanhouse. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- "Colts Re-sign Johnson". Indianapolis Colts Public Relations. 2009-05-05.
- "Colts release defensive end Ed Johnson again". Indianapolis Star. 2009-10-13.
- Thomas, Brad (2010-02-17). "Panthers sign DT Johnson". The Washington Examiner.