Eddie T. Johnson
|Eddie T. Johnson|
Superintendent Eddie Johnson at Game 3 of the 2016 World Series between the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians.
|Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department|
Assumed office |
April 13, 2016
|Appointed by||Rahm Emanuel|
|Preceded by||Garry McCarthy|
1960/1961 (age 57–58)|
|Department||Chicago Police Department|
|Years of service||1988-present|
Chief of Police (2016-present)|
Chief of the Patrol Bureau (2012-16)
Commander, 6th District (2008-12)
Eddie T. Johnson is the Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department. He was born in Cabrini-Green Homes, public housing projects, located on the Near North Side of Chicago, Illinois and, at age 9, moved to the Washington Heights, where he still lives.
Johnson began his career in the Chicago Police Department in 1988 as a beat cop. He was appointed commander of the 6th district in 2008 and chief of patrol in 2012.
Rahm Emanuel endured controversy when appointing Johnson as his interim superintendent in 2016 considering Johnson was not one of the three finalists selected by the Chicago Police Board, and Johnson did not apply for the top job. Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel named Johnson as the interim Police Chief on March 28, 2016, On April 13, 2016, a day after the Chicago City Council Public Safety Committee bypassed the Chicago Police Board with a fast-track vote, Johnson was officially sworn in as Chicago Police Superintendent after his nomination was approved unanimously by the Chicago City Council in a 50-0 vote.
- "Eddie Johnson, New Chicago Police Leader, Has Deep Roots in a City Adrift in Turmoil". The New York Times. 2016-03-28. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- FOX. "Eddie Johnson officially named Chicago police superintendent". WFLD. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "MAYOR EXPECTED TO NAME EDDIE JOHNSON NEW INTERIM SUPERINTENDENT MONDAY". WLS-TV. 2016-03-27. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "This new top cop is wholly unqualified to reform CPD". Crain's Chicago Business. 2016-04-20. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "EDDIE JOHNSON NAMED NEW CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT INTERIM SUPERINTENDENT". WLS-TV. 2016-03-28. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- Sweeney, Jeremy Gorner, Annie. "Humble and quiet, Eddie Johnson takes over as Chicago's interim top cop". Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- Thomas, Charles (12 April 2016). "City council panel votes to fast-track Emanuel's top cop pick". Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "City Council votes unanimously to approve Eddie Johnson as new CPD superintendent". 13 April 2016. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- Thomas, Charles (13 April 2016). "Eddie Johnson named new Chicago police superintendent". Retrieved 3 August 2018.
|This Chicago-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography article about law enforcement in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|