Edgar Calabia Samar
Edgar Calabia Samar
|Born||February 18, 1981|
San Pablo City, Philippines
|Occupation||Novelist, Poet, Teacher|
|Genre||Novel, Young Adult, Poetry|
Edgar Calabia Samar (born 1981) is a poet and fictionist from San Pablo City, Philippines. He has received the Palanca Awards for his poetry collections and futuristic fiction. He has also been awarded the PBBY-Salanga Writer's Prize, the NCCA Writer's Prize for the Novel, the Gantimpalang Collantes sa Sanaysay, and the Gawad Surian sa Tula. His poetry book, Pag-aabang sa Kundiman: Isang Tulambuhay, was nominated for the National Book Award. His award-winning children story Uuwi na ang Nanay Kong si Adarna has been adapted into play by Job Pagsibigan and was staged at the Cultural Center of the Philippines as part of The Virgin Labfest in July 2008. The same story was also adapted for television in a storytelling segment of GMA-7's Art Angel episode last May 29, 2008. His book, Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog, was recipient of the 2005 NCCA Writer's Prize; its translation to English as Eight Muses of the Fall was longlisted in the 2009 Man Asian Literary Prize. Samar is also fellow to the 2010 International Writing Program of the University of Iowa.
Samar was born on 18 February 1981 in San Pablo City, Philippines. He attended a diocesan catholic school, the Liceo de San Pablo, from grade school to high school (1988–1998) before he entered the Ateneo de Manila University where he finished his AB in Psychology (2002) and MA in Filipino Literature (2004). In Ateneo, he became a member of Heights for four years (1998–2002). He received his Doctor of Philosophy from the University of the Philippines in Diliman, which awarded him the Gawad Antonio Abad for Best Dissertation in 2011.
Samar teaches Philippine Literature and Creative Writing at the Ateneo de Manila University. He served as President of Linangan sa Imahen, Retorika at Anyo in 2002-2004, and now acts as moderator of Heights. He has served as panelist to several national writers workshops in the Philippines. He also directed the 7th Ateneo National Writers Workshop held in October 2007 at the Sacred Heart Novitiate in Quezon City. He currently lives in Marikina City.
- "Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon" (Adarna House, 2014)
- "Eight Muses of the Fall" (Anvil Publishing, 2013)
- "Halos Isang Búhay: Ang Manananggal sa Pagsusulat ng Nobela" (UST Publishing House, 2012)
- "Sa Kasunod ng 909" (UST Publishing House, 2012)
- Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog (Anvil Publishing, 2009)
- Pag-aabang sa Kundiman: Isang Tulambuhay (ADMU Office of Research and Publications, 2006)
- Isa na Namang Pagtingala sa Buwan (National Commission for Culture and the Arts, 2005)
- Uuwi na ang Nanay Kong si Darna! (Adarna House, 2002)
- "Kuwentong-Bayan"[dead link] in Literatura 8: Tha Palanca 2004 Issue
- "Walang Diwata ng Apoy" in Literatura 8: The Palanca 2004 Issue
- "2000" in High Chair Issue # 5 (July–December 2005)
- "Gnosis" in Tinig Volume 35
- "Si Big Brother, Si Boy Bastos, at ang Pagsasalba ng Katawan sa Textong Popular Ayon Kay Antonio Pigafetta" in Malay 20, No. 1 (2007)
- "Paghawak sa Panahon: Ang Salaysay Bilang Talinghaga sa Tula" in Loyola Schools Review 6 (2007)
Awards, Grants, Fellowships
- 2010 International Writing Program, Fellow
- 2009 Man Asian Literary Prize, Longlist for "Eight Muses of the Fall"
- 2007 Gantimpalang Collantes sa Sanaysay, Second Prize for "Tungo sa Pag-awit ng Inadung"
- 2007 46th UP National Writers Workshop, Fellow for Poetry in Filipino
- 2005 NCCA Writer's Prize, Grand Prize for Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
- 2004 Gawad Surian sa Tula, Grand Prize for "Kung Bakit Tayo Nakikinig sa Alamat"
- 2004 PBBY-Salanga Writer's Prize, Honorable Mention for "Magkano Papuntang Antipolo?"
- 2004 Palanca Awards for Poetry in Filipino, First Prize for "Tayong Lumalakad Nang Matulin"
- 2003 Palanca Awards for Future Fiction in Filipino, Second Prize for "Project: EYOD"
- 2003 1st Iyas-La Salle National Writers' Workshop, Fellow for Poetry in Filipino
- 2002 Palanca Awards for Poetry in Filipino, Second Prize for "Pag-aabang sa Kundiman at Iba Pang Tula"
- 2002 PBBY-Salanga Writer's Prize, Grand Prize for "Uuwi na ang Nanay Kong si Darna!"
- 2001 38th UP National Writers Workshop, Fellow for Poetry in Filipino
- 2000 1st UST National Writers' Workshop, Fellow for Poetry in Filipino
- 1999 6th Ateneo-Heights Writers' Workshop, Fellow for Poetry in Filipino
- 1997 National Schools Press Conference, Second Place for Editorial Writing in Filipino
- Tales of children's stories
- The Pinay in Philippine children's literature
- Wanted: New Tagalog Poets
- Linangan sa Imahen, Retorika at Anyo
- LasticMom recommends "Uuwi na ang Nanay Kong si Darna"
- "Between the workshop and the ukay-ukay"
- Ateneo celebrates Buwan ng Wika at Kultura 2007
- Fellows to the 7th Ateneo National Writers Workshop named
- Books that help and give counsel
- Likhaan awards 20 writing fellows
- Palanca harvest for 2003
- Wan dey isang araw
- Adarna House and AILAP award 9 Barlaya Fellowships
- Ilang tala hinggil sa Nationalism and Literature
- Donita brings Christmas to read-along kids[permanent dead link]
- 8 fellows to the 6th Barlaya workshop
- UP National Writers' Worshop ends on a high note
- Neni Sta. Romana Cruz's favorite books
- Pag-aabang sa Kundiman: Ang pagsagka ni Elias sa katagang alea iacta est ni Caesar
- Books Featuring RP Literati's Newest Gems Launched
- Eden estospace: Enter the world of podcasts