Edgar Santana Rivera
|Mayor of Vega Baja|
January 11, 2005 – February 6, 2011
|Preceded by||Luis Meléndez|
|Succeeded by||Iván Hernández González|
|Political party||New Progressive Party (PNP)|
Santana ran for mayor of Vega Baja at the 2000 general elections, but lost to the candidate of the Popular Democratic Party, Luis Meléndez. At the 2004 elections, Santana ran again, this time defeating the PPD candidate. He was reelected at the 2008 elections.
In 2010, a judge found cause for arrest against Santana for 18 charges of bribery. According to the accusations, Santana asked contractors for money in exchange of contracts in the municipality. Although maintaining his innocence, Santana resigned on February 2011, after a judge found cause for trial against him.
In October, the PNP disqualified Santana for reelection at the upcoming elections on the same day that his trial began. After about two weeks of trial, Santana was found guilty of all charges and immediately arrested. In December, he was sentenced to 18 years in prison.
- Elecciones Generales de 2000: Alcalde de Vega Baja on CEEPUR
- Elecciones Generales 2004: Recuento on CEEPUR
- Elecciones Generales 2008: Alcaldes Archived November 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. on CEEPUR
- Hallan causa para arresto contra alcalde de Vega Baja on El Nuevo Día; Hernández, Yanira and Frances Rosario (September 29, 2010)
- Testigo relata sobornos solicitados por el alcalde Santana on El Nuevo Día; Rivera Vargas, Daniel (November 1, 2011)
- Edgar Santana a juicio por sobornos on Primera Hora; Maldonado, Wilma (February 5, 2011)
- Edgar Santana deja la alcaldía de Vega Baja para defenderse on Primera Hora (February 6, 2011)
- PNP descalifica la candidatura de Edgar Santana on El Nuevo Día; Cristina Cela, María and Yanira Hernández (October 31, 2011)
- Vega Baja tiene alcalde interino on El Nuevo Día; Hernández, Yanira (November 15, 2011)
- 18 años de cárcel al corrupto exalcalde de vega Baja, Edgar Santana on El Nuevo Día; Muñíz, Alba (December 17, 2011)