Edibe Sözen Yavuz
1 January 1961
|Political party||Justice and Development Party (AKP)|
Early life and academic career
Born at Sivas to Doğan Sözen and his wife Nevzade on 1 January 1961, she is a great-niece of Nurettin Sözen, a member of the social democratic Republican People's Party (CHP) and former mayor of Istanbul.
Edibe Sözen graduated from Marmara University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Department of International Relations with a BSc degree in 1982. She made her Master's degree and earned a PhD title from the Faculty of Economics at Istanbul University. She completed her post-doctoral studies at University of Wisconsin–Madison, USA.
In 1994, she became associate professor of sociology, and was appointed professor of communications in 2000 in Istanbul University. She was visiting professor at universities in Utah, Arizona, Chicago, USA and Cologne, Germany. She served as vice dean at Istanbul University.
Sozen published eight books about social life and communications.
In 2006, Edibe Sözen suspended her academic career, and joined the ruling social conservative Justice and Development Party (AKP). She was elected vice chairperson of the party as the second female member, and appointed responsible for media and publicity. In the 2007 general election, she won a seat in the parliament as a deputy from Istanbul Province.
In 2008, Sözen prepared a law proposal about the protection of youth, and sent it to the minister responsible for youth and sports to be forwarded in the parliament. It would ban entry of underaged into restaurants after 22:00 hours and youth's visit of internet cafés, provide closure of nightclubs at midnight, establishment of a worship place in all schools and keeping record for buyers of pornographic publication. As it became public, and sparked controversy in the public, she defended herself that she was inspired by a German law and they (the AKP) bring Western standards to Turkey. The Constitutional Court of Turkey threatened with closure of the AKP due to offending secularity, and sanctioned with cutting of financial aids by the state. Following a harsh reaction by the party leader Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, and a decision of the party's high commission distancing itself from her proposal, she announced that her draft does not bind the party, and she will not submit it in the parliament.
In September 2013, Sözen announced her candidature in the 2014 local elections for the mayorship of Maltepe district in Istanbul Province. She lost the election to her rival Ali Kılıç from the CHP.
- Medyatik Hafıza (1999)
- Söylem (2000)
- Kimliklerimiz (2000)
- Kertenkele Mantığı (2004)
- İnsan Hakları Bir Gündelik Hayat Pratiği (Sözen, Ayten, İri) (2006)
- Türkiye'nin ABD ve AB Denklemi (Gökçe, Demiray, Sözen) (2006)
- Sosyal Kimlikten Siyasal Kimliğe Geçişte Kadın (2008)
- Hepimiz Globaliz Hepimiz Yereliz (2012)
- "Justice and Development Party Central Executive Committee". AK Party Official site. Archived from the original on 15 August 2011. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- "Edibe Sözen Yavuz'den Maltepe'ye 88 proje". Ihlas News Agency (in Turkish). 2014-03-15. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- Ateş, Şenol (2006-11-23). "AKP'nin Sözen'i CHP ile akraba". Sabah (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "Edibe Hanım, gerçekten Alevi misiniz?". Aksiyon (in Turkish). 2006-11-27. Archived from the original on 2014-11-29. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "23 Grand National Assembly of Turkey Period of Representatives". Turkiye Buyuk Millet Miclisi. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- "Son Dakika Edibe Sözen Haberleri". Son Dakika (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "Edibe Sözen yeni kitabını tanıtacak". Urfa Basın (in Turkish). 2012-02-26. Archived from the original on 2014-12-20. Retrieved 2014-11-21. |
- "Prof. Edibe Sözen'den sürpriz: Aday adayıyım". Yeni Şafak (in Turkish). 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "AKP gençleri böyle mi koruyacak?". Radikal (in Turkish). 2008-08-07. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- Karakuş, Abdullah. "Porno dergi alana kimlik bilgisi şartı!". Milliyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "Turkey's AKP to register pornographic material buyers". Hürriyet. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "Kolayı var: Batı'dan aldım". Cumhuriyet (in Turkish). 2008-08-09. Archived from the original on 2014-12-02. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- Tail, Robert (2008-08-14). "Religion: Turkish PM appeases critics by disowning anti-porn bill". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "Edibe Sözen, teklifini geri çekti". Yeni Şafak (in Turkish). 2008-08-09. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- Toprak, Veli (2008-08-13). "AKP'den Edibe Sözen açıklaması". Vatan (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "Guardian: Erdoğan laiklere zeytin dalı uzattı". Cumhuriyet (in Turkish). 2008-08-14. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- Özkaya, Sefa (2014-01-20). "Maltepe'de Edibe Sözen sürprizi". Hürriyet. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "Almanyalı Türk aday Ali Kılıç Maltepe'de kazandı". Hürriyet. 2014-03-31. Retrieved 2014-11-21.