Edward Westby Donovan
|Born||6 September 1821|
|Died||1897 (aged 76)|
|Commands held||Commander of British Troops in China, Hong Kong and the Straits Settlements|
|Awards||Knight of the Légion d'honneur|
Lieutenant General Edward Westby Donovan (6 September 1821 - 1897) was Commander of British Troops in China, Hong Kong and the Straits Settlements.
Donovan was commissioned into the 33rd Regiment of Foot in 1840. He fought in the Crimean War and was severely wounded at the Siege of Sevastopol in 1855. For this he was made a Chevalier (Knight) of the Légion d'honneur.
In 1878 he was appointed Commander of British Troops in China, Hong Kong and the Straits Settlements, a post he held until 1882. He retired in 1887.
- "No. 19812". The London Gazette. 10 January 1840. p. 57.
- "No. 21705". The London Gazette. 15 April 1855. p. 1707.
- Thom, Adam Bissett, The Upper Ten Thousand, for 1877. London: Kelly and Co. p. 167
- "No. 25068". The London Gazette. 3 February 1882. p. 425.
- "No. 25688". The London Gazette. 1 April 1887. p. 1916.
- "No. 26182". The London Gazette. 14 July 1891. p. 3722.
- Burke, Bernard and Ashworth Peter Burke, A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Ireland. London: Harrison & Sons. 9th edition, 1899. p. 119–20
Sir Francis Colborne
|Commander of British Troops in China, Hong Kong
and the Straits Settlements
|Colonel of The East Yorkshire Regiment