John Neptune Sargent
|Born||18 June 1826|
|Died||20 October 1893
|Commands held||2nd Bn Buffs
1st Bn Buffs
Inns of Court Volunteers
Brigade Depot at Milford Haven
Military Depot in Oxford
Commander of British Troops in China, Hong Kong and the Straits Settlements
Second Opium War
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Lieutenant General John Neptune Sargent CB (18 June 1826 – 20 October 1893) was Commander of British Troops in China, Hong Kong and the Straits Settlements.
Sargent was commissioned into the 95th Regiment of Foot in 1844. In 1847 he went to Canton to protect the local factories from violence. He was appointed Adjutant of his Regiment in 1851. He fought in the Crimean War at the Battle of Alma and was wounded; he also fought at the Battle of Inkerman and the Siege of Sevastopol of 1855 where he was again wounded. He also took part in the Second Opium War in 1860, leading a detachment during the storming of the north Taku Forts.
He was made Commanding Officer of the 2nd battalion of the Buffs at Malta in 1861 and then of the 1st battalion in England in 1862. In 1864 he took command of the Inns of Court Volunteers, in 1873 he became Commander of a Brigade Depot at Milford Haven and in 1874 he became Commander of a Military Depot in Oxford.
He was appointed Commander of British Troops in China, Hong Kong and the Straits Settlements in 1882 and retired in 1890.
- "No. 20306". The London Gazette. 19 January 1844. p. 182.
- John Neptune Sargent at Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- "No. 21268". The London Gazette. 28 November 1851. p. 3299.
- "No. 21790". The London Gazette. 26 September 1855. p. 3590.
- "No. 25068". The London Gazette. 3 February 1882. p. 425.
- "No. 26040". The London Gazette. 8 April 1890. p. 2100.
- "No. 26141". The London Gazette. 6 March 1891. p. 1266.
- Marriage certificate 225 for 28 July 1863 at St Lukes Norwood Parish Lambeth
|Commander of British Troops in China, Hong Kong
and the Straits Settlements
Sir William Cameron
|colonel of the 1st Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers