Eighth Area Army
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Eighth Area Army (Japan))
The Eighth Area Army was an area army of the Imperial Japanese Army. The army was formed on 9 November 1942, becoming effective on 26 November at Rabaul as part of the Southern Army. The army was disbanded in September 1945.
Chief of Staff
- Lt. General Rinpei Kato (9 Nov 1942 - Sep 1945)
Vice Chief of Staff
- Maj. General Ketsu Sato (9 Nov 1942 - 2 Aug 1943)
- Maj. General Yadoru Arisue (2 Aug 1943 - 29 Aug 1943)
- Maj. General Kohei Takeshi (11 Sep 1943 - 19 Jun 1944)
- Seventeenth Army
- Eighteenth Army
- 6th Division
- 1st Independent Mixed Brigade
- 12th Air Brigade
- Part of the 5th Division (20 November 1942)
- 6th Air Division (25 November 1942)
- 7th Air Division (29 January 1943)
- "8. Area Army (Japan)". Axis History Factbook. Retrieved 3 January 2011.
- "Chapter VIII, Defence of Papua, Reports of General MacArthur,JAPANESE OPERATIONS IN THE SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA, VOLUME II - PART I". U.S. ARMY CENTER OF MILITARY HISTORY. Retrieved 3 January 2011.